Sebastian's Story:

As decided before, I will be doing a bonus short side story. Sebastian won the vote by a landslide!

So here it is Sebastian's story part one of three!

Part One/3:

"Hey love," Mother whispered in that accent I knew so well.

I looked up, my smile growing as I looked at her. She looked like an angel, dressed in blue scrubs, a long white coat, today it was decorated with red. Her dark locks were pulled back so carefully, so delicately. She smiled at me, those blue eyes so bright. Brighter than these white walls, brighter than those yellow lights. Warmer than the stale heat.

Today she looked sad.

"Good morning Mother," I said softly.

Her smile grew, "You've done so well in the tests. Doctor Maxwell will be moving you into the city tomorrow. You're such a good boy, you'll do wonderful things one day."

That meant the city was done being built.

Young me giggled. Moving to the city was our goal after all. That meant I was good enough to survive once the world ended. Good enough that the doctor had picked me over all the other subjects to get the cure all. I was the specialist. I was the best good boy. Number four would survive. 

"Which means today," she sighed softly, "You'll need a name."

I frowned, "A name?"

She nodded, bending down to my height, "Yes. For a good boy. But this name will be our secret. Don't tell the doctor ok my love? Just like my nickname for you. Just like my name. Because tomorrow you'll be the fourth to him but you're more than that and I need you to remember this ok? You are more than a number."

Sirens were going off suddenly. Mother looked panicked. Her eyes grew wide, she looked towards the door, suddenly getting up. Mother dropped her scalpel. I paused, my eyes flickering from the silver knife to Mother. She looked back to me, ignoring the commotion in the halls.

"A name," she said quickly, "Pick a name number four!"

I raked my mind for a name, as if it would save her. I thought back to the books she'd read to me, those books that would slip back under her coat when she left. I thought back to the mermaid book. The crab, he had a funny voice too. Just like Mother's, but Mother's was so soft and smooth.

"Sebastian," I remember myself saying.

She nodded, a smile on her face, the door slammed open. I jolted, fear of the loud noise scaring me but she didn't seem to react. Smiling still, tears began to fall down her face and Mother leaned forward. Hugging me tightly. My tiny little arms wrapped around her, I hugged her tightly, inhaling the sweet smell of her clothing. A noise went off, I know now that was a gunshot. They shot her.

Blood fell on my face in drops, I tried to look up, to see her face but her grip was too strong.

"My Sebastian, my little love," she whispered.

I blinked back the memory. How old was I then? When Maxwell killed the nurse that had gotten too close to subject four. I was told she simply broke when hearing that I would be moved and they would be left behind. That's what Maxwell called it, them breaking. Like toys.

"Four," I looked up, back to his grin.

I kept my grin on my face, mirror his attitude, "Yes boss?"

My voice didn't shake, that was good. Normally it shook when I remembered the past. Today it didn't, today it felt strong. Like the day I told Marianna and Felix to leave the city without me five years ago. Like every day after that the guards beat me into submission for failing to kill the two. It made me feel good, it made me feel strong.