Forty Two |

Forty Two |

After a much needed bath, I pulled back my light brown locks (that now had grown just below my shoulder blades) into a high pony tail and pulled on a pair of black leggings (as well as a grey sweat shirt). Bathing and wearing clean clothing (which I had found in the dresser) made me feel hundreds times better. Better to face the world outside this room, at least.

With a sigh, I knew I couldn't prolong it anymore. Pulling the door open, I stepped out into the hall. Just in time to run face first into Luna's right hand lady – Lia. Stumbling back, her arms moved to steady me and I quickly thanked her.

"I was just about to come find you," she informed me, "Luna would like to see you at the bees. She said you would know the spot?"

"Thank you," I repeated.

She merely nodded before walking away.

My mouth grew dry as I watched her go. Luna wanted to meet me at the bench then. Hopefully it was to give me more wisdom full words and love advice but a certain gut feeling told me that wouldn't be the case. If anything, she probably wanted to question me away from Leon's side.

Grabbing my sweater, I made my way to the side door. Pulling on my shoes quickly I stepped outside. It was extremely wet out, with the sun shining and snow melting mud was quickly on the rise. I gingerly made my way over the sloppy snow, and towards the honey trees in the distance.

Sure enough, there she was sitting on that damn bench sipping what looked like tea. I moved over to her, ignoring the soaking feeling that seeped into my shoes then sat beside her. The woman didn't even bat an eye as I did. She only stared at the barren and frozen hives.

"I have many questions for you," she sighed. I nodded, bracing myself for whatever came next, "Both Alpha and I do however, we both talked for a long time last night..."

I kept my face blank as I stared at the side of her face.

Here it came, I knew I wouldn't be able to answer.

"...and we have decided that we trust you," she finally said turning her face to look at me.

My jaw must have fell open as my eyes widened. Quickly, I snapped my jaw shut and struggled to regain my composure. I had no words – I was so fucking confused and suspicious. She looked at my face for another moment before a laugh danced out of her mouth.

"Don't look so surprised," she chuckled, sipping on her tea, "You forget Alpha and I came from the City of Ash originally. We know there are secrets meant to be left well alone. Although, I will warn you of the company you keep. I know you have a good heart Mira, but the man you choose to follow you around is not a good man. He's bad."

Was she talking about Leon?

"Don't worry, we'll be fine," he insured me.

I shook my head unable to believe him.

"My sister fixed up this car. I've been using it for years to get back and forth from the Labyrinth. It's practically indestructible," he said softly.

His sister? My eyes widened and I looked down at my clothing, then the worn out white tennis shoes. Had these been hers? If so then, where was she now? I glanced back at Leon slowly, and hesitantly. His eyes locked on mine through the mirror before he shook his head.

"No. She's not dead. She's just doing what she can to survive," he whispered.

"What does that mean?" something about his tone was off, a wave of fear began to grow under my ribs and I turned to look at him.

That's right. She was wrong, Leon wasn't bad. Anger fueled my veins as I reminded myself of her situation. Her and Alpha got away – Leon didn't. He didn't and for his sister. That's why he stays for Eric's beck and call. I had seen over and over, good and bad didn't exist – they were only what we pointed fingers at.

My anger melted away as I let out a breath. That meant I couldn't really be angry at Luna. No matter the reason Leon did work for Eric. I was sure he did a lot of fucked up things for that man. His reason didn't excuse him. Yet at the same time, I didn't think he was evil. Leon and I were alike in that way.

"I trust him," I told Luna.

She nodded in agreement, "I know you do. Which is why he hasn't been thrown out yet. That also means you know more than your first visit here. Do you remember what we talked about last time you came down?"

Last time I came down Fredrick Muller fucked up my entire world. I rubbed the shiver from my arms that did not come from the cold then nodded. She smiled slightly, her hand stopping my own. I looked up at her, startled by the tears in her eyes.

"I'm sorry to remind you of that terrible experience. I meant our conversation about the potential illicit that came here," she said quietly – as if she didn't want anyone to hear us, "I have a confession to make. But you can't repeat it anywhere in this place. Promise?"

I blinked slowly at her – I almost forgot she was a normal woman. I saw her as a second wise and almighty Alana but that wasn't the case. Luna wasn't even thirty yet. So, biting back a giggle I nodded. Trying to stay serious.

"That was an illicit that showed up. His name is Sebastian," she huffed quietly, "and he's a complete and utter asshole. B-But he was my friend in the City of Ash. To Alpha and us both. Once we came here, he left. When the guards said an illicit came back I'm sure it was him. It would make sense why the shadow men hurried here so fast.

"So, you're worried about him?" I asked.

She shook her head, "He can take care of himself. I'm worried why he came. He knew the risk yet he tried to come here anyways. But when he got here, the guards said he was looking for someone. Someone named Aaron Brokes? I think Maxwell is planning something evil. Please be careful in the City of Ash, and be careful of Eric Maxwell."

"I will. Has Lisa talked to you yet?" I questioned hesitantly.

"Yes, she did. Alpha and I agreed. It was only a matter of time before Junior's little sister would want to lead her own life. We can't keep her here against her will. Despites, she's amazing with that gun of hers," Luna sighed deeply.

"If only she used a sword. Jax's gift is useless to me," I muttered.

Luna glanced over at me casually, "Why don't you ask Alpha? He does own the twin of your Ulfberht."

"Ok one: what the hell is an octo-beret?" I gasped, "And second: what?"

"Jax never told you? That blade was once a relic. Made long ago by Vikings. Forged by a crucible rare steel. It's lighter than any other blade ever forged but, there's also like ten left in the world. Alban Mcgrier, Jax's mentor in the Town of Roses had one passed down his family ties. He then found a second when looting a museum. So apart of the alliance between us and Alana, Alban threw in the twin blade and even taught Alpha over a week's time how to use it," she informed me.

My mind swam with all the information, "How'd he learn it in a week?"

She laughed, "It was extremely tough, and I don't think he made it through the week. Alban certainly wasn't kind when it came to training, but he did have a big heart. He never gave up on Alpha or Jax. Not even on Landon. He was a good man."

I couldn't help but smile at her words, I could only imagine the man who taught the bunch. He must have had patience of a golden bull – goddamn. Just thinking of Alpha, Jax and Landon in a room together made an ache form in my head.

"You think I'll be able to learn?" I asked shaking my head of my distracting thoughts.

Those sharp green eyes gleamed, and those lips curled into a devilish grin that brought a terrible shiver down my spine, "I think you, Mira can learn in three days."

My eyes widened and I swallowed the lump in my throat.

Three days to master an ancient sword technique.

"Goddamn," I breathed in horror and excitement.