Seventeen |

Seventeen |

"You know, that is something I'd like to know as well, Mira."

My eyes turned down to the wooden stairs – an ant crawled slowly up one of the steps. I watched it silently, not speaking. I didn't know how to get out of this – even if I had told them the truth – that wouldn't change anything. Nor would it be certain that they'd even believe me. But, I didn't want to be a monster, I didn't want anyone to be afraid of me.

"I killed him because he was going to kill me," I spoke softly.

There was no point in hiding it now. I'd need to tell them the truth and put my trust in them. I just couldn't tell them the full truth. Alpha's hand let me go and silence fell over us. I didn't dare move.

"What do you mean?" Alpha's voice throbbed with authority.

I looked up at Jax, letting my eyes grow wide. I just prayed that they'd believe me now. However, I also needed to be careful and keep calm. As much as I felt trapped right now, I couldn't start acting like a trapped animal. A beast.

"I didn't want to tell anyone but," I paused for dramatic effect, "he worked with my father. My father was also a doctor."

Alpha sighed, "A doctor huh?"

I merely nodded, dropping my gaze. Tension in the air was clear however, it seemed Alpha had bought my statement. Jax on the other hand, I knew he'd be harder to convince. But I also knew he would wait until we were alone. So, I would have to make sure for the time being we weren't alone together.

"Fine. You're off the hook for now, I don't know what happened but I do know you have your own demons and secrets you need to protect. Not to mention with that man out of the way, you did save us from a lot of drama," Alpha grumbled merely shaking his head.

"Is that all?" Jax said lowly.

I turned my attention towards him, getting ready to argue when I realized he wasn't taking to me. His eyes were locked on Alpha. Alpha merely scratched his chin and shrugged.

"Yeah, I'll get the gate open tonight. Be safe on the way back," was all he said before he merely turned on his heels and left.

I watched him go with a sigh. My eyes tracking his movements until the very moment he pulled open the front door and strolled outside. Leaving me alone with Jax. I hesitantly looked back at him, his eyes watched me carefully.

"What exactly are you involved in?" he demanded.

I shook my head, "I could ask you the same. All the drama in my life is from the remains of the past, but clearly that's not the case between you people and the shadow men."

His eyes widened, then he did something that surprised me. He threw back his head and laughed, the musical sound captivating me as I watched spirited amusement take over his features. It brightened those hazel eyes and relaxed his shoulders and I couldn't help but blush. He stuck out his hand towards me and I gave him some side eye. At that he chuckled.

"Let's call it a truce and go home," he said cheerfully and I took his head.

That was the best idea I've heard in the few days we've been here.

We got back to Alana's town – home as Jax had put it – just after the sun had set. It took us the full day to travel back, as Jax wanted to go slow enough to be on high alert for any shadow men that may have come with Fredrick.

The front gates opened and we trotted through as soon as the gates closed and we had reached the stables Jax was off his horse and hauling me off mine. Just as Landon was sauntering over that fucked-up little grin on his face.