One Hundred Seventeen |

It stared raining in the next few hours. We had reached the mountains. Lucky for us, the trees had sheltered us from most of the rain but unlucky for us:

1. It was now dark out.

2. We were soaking wet, and cold.

3. It was windy out.

4. The darkness was so bad we could barely see.

Jessica apparently did not care about any of these issues because we were still trekking through the forest while rain fell over us. Every so often branches would break, slamming into our heads and in all honesty I was ready to give my soul to Maxwell. This was utter bullshit.

I'm not sure how much time passed, but I'd guess at least a day. We had stopped for a few hours, pitching the tent and sharing it, before munching on the bag of snacks Jax had packed me. We made little to very small talk. Jessica seemed to be very intent on keeping a firm wall between us and that we just fine with me. She clearly didn't like me and I felt the exact same way about her. We were on a mission, and that would be the only thing keeping us together.

"We need to hurry up," Jessica grunted, climbing over a long, protruding root.

My eyes rolled, "I know that. I can only move so fast."

"Aren't you like, all powerful?" she mocked.

"No, I'm a zombie human not a damn deity."

"Whatever," she snapped, "Just move."

I said nothing as we continued our dark and wet hike. Eventually, we reached the mountains, but even then we didn't stop. Our movements slowed as we began pulling ourself up the vast mountain side, careful in our path to not slip along the wet ground. The trees eventually thinned out and so did the grass. Until all that was left, was the mountain rock—as far as the eye could see. There was a small break in the rain, however those heavy clouds still remained.

"We need to go—"

"Faster?" I guessed, growing more and more annoyed.

She paused, anger on her face, "Yes."

"Ok, no," I sighed, stopping to sit on a cliff edge.

"What are you doing?" She demanded.

"Taking a much needed break. You need one too."

Her hands were thrown up, and she hissed, "Fine."

No doubt like me, much too tired to argue.

I leaned back on my arms, fear of falling pumped through my veins. Honestly, it was a nice reminder that there were other things in the world that could kill us aside from zombies and Maxwell. We were so high up—much higher than the hospital and much higher than the skyscraper world of the labyrinth. From here, I could see the twinkles of everything. Including how there was a large river that moved from the lake and down towards the mountain.

"You think that's how they get water?" I murmured.

Jessica looked over at me, "What?"

"That river is connected to the lake," I replied pointing.

She leaned towards me but was careful to get no where near the edge, "Um, I'm not sure. That river is always off limits. There's a dam there, it's always infested."

"And the zombies never came up from the dam?"

"Zombie's can't swim," her words came out a snort of laughter.