Forty Four |

Forty Four |

There was tables of tables set up with piles of salads, grilled buck meat, spicy jam, berries topped with honey and wine. Among that lights had been hung over the tables, with a large bon fire in about a ten foot circle of rocks away from the tables and manor.

Each table was packed with happy, laughing faces. Leon seemed to have skipped the event – I felt bad but I understood. People didn't like him here, and despite the warm atmosphere Luna and Alpha set I'm sure Leon didn't want to chance anything. So the celebration started without him. I sat with Lisa and Cam at Alpha and Luna's table. The only other face I recognized here was Lia. We filled our bellies with the delicious food – I was sure to fill my fat ass with as much cooked buck as I could. It was most definitely a step up from squirrel.

Once the food was more or less eaten, I realized there was more to this celebration. Alpha thanked everyone who showed, then thanked the short winter and new life to begin in the spring, then Luna stood. A smile on her face as she looked around. I watched her curiously, and noticed the entire crowd went silent.

"Is this apart of the celebration?" I whispered to Lisa.

She shushed me then shook her head, "This is new."

"We celebrate the Spring Equinox every year to thank the end of the winter but also to look forward to the coming spring. Each day we live with the rising sun, and each day new life takes shape," she paused to glance lovingly at Alpha before continuing, "This year we also take part in this cycle. Before the winter a new wolf will be born!"

The crowd began to cheer as Luna's words set in. It took me a moment to realize – Luna was pregnant! I smiled, happy for them both, they'd be great parents and by how they ran the Wolf Cove I was sure their child would never know of the Lyssasolanum virus.

"Let us begin the second part of our celebration!" Alpha chuckled, wrapping his arms around Luna.

At those words a new wave of cheering was caused before The drunken singing and sloppy dancing around the bon fire then filled the air as the sun began to set. I giggled, watching Cam dance with Lisa. They twirled and swirled around the fire while I sat on a tarp over the thawing ground. It was peaceful, a peace that I might not see again. That had me worried – about Lisa, and about Leon. As the moon began to rise, Luna came to sit beside me.

"Congratulations," I told her warmly.

She smiled, her hand resting under her belly, "Thank you friend. How are you feeling about leaving in two days? Any worries?"

A sigh escaped my lips, "I haven't learned anything for that damn sword. I don't know how Lisa will act in the City of Ash, I don't even know if I'll be able to trust Leon. I know he promised to keep me from Maxwell, but his sister is his priority. What if Maxwell uses that against him? Or worse, Maxwell recognizes Lisa?"

"Ah Lisa," she mused, "She's been wanting to go back to that place for years. Even before Junior took his life, she's had a rage inside her soul. A calculated rage that was once wild, now is planned out. She won't cause you any harm, she's a smart and strong woman. As for Maxwell...well, she was still only a girl when we left. Not to mention her skin's gotten lighter. You have to remind yourself Maxwell has a life – I'm sure the day we left is but ash to the wind for him. As for your sword, you'll get the hang of it. In battle it will come much easier than not. Your sword will show you hot to strike a true enemy down."

I nodded realizing she was right, "And Leon?"

"Him I can't help you with. You just have to remind yourself why you trust him, and if that's not good enough then I would cut the man loose."