One Hundred Fifteen |

Jessica and Sam awoke me the next morning, the two were talking loudly outside my tent. I groaned, sitting up and rubbing my face, tiredness echoed in my bones, and I could feel Zero rustle around restlessly inside my mind. I reached out to her but she had nothing to respond with. It was strange, lately she had gotten quiet but not in the usual way. It was as if she was tired, and growing weak but I knew that couldn't be it. The talking outside my tent grew again and I growled in annoyance, pulling myself from my tent. The morning was cold, a dew settling over the forest along with a soft mist. The sound of that familiar river now so clearly nearby.

"What the hell is going on?" I grumbled.

They both looked over at me.

"Mira," Sam hummed, "You're awake."

"No shit," I snapped, "Why are you two so damn loud?"

Jessica stepped forward, "You should be up by now anyways. The sun has begun to rise, we need to get moving. We should have been there by now and now we're lost—"

I snickered, "You're lost?"

"We," she snapped, "Of course you'd make a joke about this."

I shrugged, "We're not lost. I know where we are."

"Right," she snapped, "You know where we are."

"Yes," I was getting annoyed now, "The river's nearby, judging by the sound, or lack of water wheel sound I'd say we're near the south fence. Probably not too far away."

"She's right," Sam chimed in, "The sound of water, I'm guessing a tributary river. You say it powers a water wheel? I'm guessing that's how the Town of Roses runs their hydro system I take it? Very clever."

"Yes well," I muttered, "Are we ready to move?"

Jessica nodded, suddenly very quiet, "We'll pack up and move shortly."

I wandered around as they finished packing up. As they did, I kicked at the ash pile on the ground and continued to reach out towards Zero but with no responds. Deciding that she didn't want to socialize, I didn't push it. She often went in and out of communication. As the mist set and the dew melted away, we finally started moving again.

Sure enough, within an hour I could see the gleam of the metal chain-link fence. Excitement sparked inside me and I giggled. I couldn't wait to see Annie and Noa, and all my other friends! Like Cam. Dread filled me and I bit my lip hard. I knew the trouble that awaited me at the Town of Roses, and I knew it might end very badly—including my death. Hell, I didn't even know if Cam was alright. All I knew was that he was shot and I didn't help him.

I inhaled sharply, my eyes looking over at the many apple trees. Tears filled my eyes and I sniffled, so many emotions striking at my heart. I could feel my pace speed up as a sudden hop appeared in my step. Behind me, I could hear Jessica call my name and suddenly I was running. Jumping over the river and bounding towards the entrance. There two guards stood, shocked looks on their face and it was no wonder.

"M-Mira? Mira Brooks?" one gasped.

I panted nervously, "Hey guys. A-Am I welcome here?"

"Why wouldn't you be?"

That voice. I knew that voice. A strangled gasp tore from my lips as I looked towards the handsome blonde man. His hazel eyes still cold but softer than they used to be. His chin had stubble, a tired look on his face but I knew that face anywhere.

"Jax," I whispered.

He nodded, stepping forward until we were inches apart, "You look good."

"So do you," I replied softly.