Thirty Eight |

Thirty Eight |

It was a bright and sunny day, the first day of spring. With sparrows and robins chirping happy tunes, and the sun beginning it's long process of melting snow. It also meant Spring Break was closer than originally thought. Although, it didn't matter, today was the day.

The day that marked the beginning of a new journey without the town of roses.

I sighed, shoving the rest of my limited clothing into my bag. Freezing as my hand fell on a certain black crop top and golden shorts. Sadness etched at my heart as a heavy fog settled in my bones. I swallowed the lump in my throat and tossed the shorts into the bag.

"I hope they fit."

My eyes widened as I spun, instantly recognizing that voice. Sure enough, there she was – Caren. She sat on the bed with her legs crossed. The grin on her face only making her look even more ugly. My blood boiled as my heart beat pounded in my ears and I blinked.

I blinked and the ghostly image was gone. Leaving me wondering what the fuck had just happened. Was it just some sort of hallucination? Maybe Jax was right, maybe I was suffering from some fucked up post-traumatic stress disorder.

"Hey Mira?" Cam's soft voice fluttered through the door making me tilt my head, "Are you almost ready? Leon said he wanted to head out before lunch time, something about already disappointing Annie enough as is. Hey do you know what's going on with those two? I think the guy really does like her, not that he'd ever have a chance in hell with Noa around."

He continued to ramble on making my eye brow twitch with annoyance. I quickly grabbed the rest of my stuff (especially the stuff formally given to me by Cici) and shoved it into the already over-packed bag. Then zipping it up, I flung open the door causing Cam's rambling to stop.

"Oh!" he gasped stumbling back slightly, his hazel eyes widening, "Jeez. Breaking the place before you leave? Is it pay back for Jax not showing up at all last night? Sneaky."

I rolled my eyes, the tips of my mouth twitching. I wouldn't dare think of Jax today. I couldn't give myself a reason to stay, and I couldn't continue to torture myself like this. I had to be strong and not let him bother me. I would not be bested by my heart!

"Ah ha! A smile, only took me all morning," he teased, poking me in the ribs.

I swatted his hand away with a breath, "Come on stupid, we can't keep Leon waiting or we'll hear about it forever."

We peeled our shoes on then headed out the door. As we walked down the path I noticed the amount of people sending smiles our way and assumed it was towards Cam. Cam and Jax both were well known in this town like idols. Beside me, Cam snickered lowly, making me frown.

"What?" I snapped.

He shrugged, "Don't show your fans how grumpy you can get."

My fans? I must have looked as confused as I felt because Cam's snicker quickly turned into a full on laugh. My frown deepen into a scowl making him dare laugh harder.

"Stop it!" I snapped whacking the back of his head.

"S-Sorry!" he laughed rubbing the spot tenderly, "It's just funny you don't notice."

"Notice what?" I sighed loudly, catching the gaze of another town's member.

He smirked, running a hand through his blonde locks, "Their smiling at you Mira. You're the town saviour after all."

My feet stopped as I looked at him with utter astonishment – what was he talking about?

"Why are you so surprised? You've done so much for our town. Finding Sophia, dealing with Lassie, getting us supplies, fixing the fence, making sure we're safe – Mira you've done more in a single year than our own guards in ten. You're the Town of Roses' hero."