Chapter 48 :Shakedown

"Um.... Charlotte." I called her as we started to back away. The girls looked at us as if we were a meal. They started to shake feverishly as they got closer to us.

"Yeah," she said breathlessly, fear lacing her voice. The girls came closer to us.

"Run!" We ran out of the washroom and shut it only to have a group of teachers spot us and ran towards us with white board rulers and one with a metallic tray in hand. We ran immediately to the Janitor's closet as it was the closest. I locked the door and we backed away from the door when we heard banging. "We can't fight them all." I said as I ran my fingers through my hair. I was sure there were about fifty people out there and the door would not hold.

"We should try."Charlotte said as she got a mop and tried to break the mop end off. I took it from her and broke the end with my knee.

"We're still not fighting. I'm calling Henry, you should call Jasper." I told her as I pulled out my phone.

"Hello." I heard Henry say breathlessly. The noises in the background sounded like they were fighting.

"Henry where are you?"

"I'm in the basketball court trying to avoid getting killed. Where are you?"

"In the Janitor's closet with Charlotte. People are trying to murder us too. Do you know where Jasper is?" It took him time to answer which worried me.

"No. I ....I need help. These guys are too many and I don't think I have better chance in running." He said and I ended the call. I started to look around. How were we going to get out of this closet? I watched as Charlotte ended the call and I asked her,

"Where's Jasper?"

"In the music room but he's going to need help." We heard someone scream outside the door and Charlotte jumped, then all of a sudden an axe appeared as the door was being broken down. "Who owns an axe in school?" Charlotte asked incredulously.

" I don't know but we have to get out of here." I looked up. There were obviously air vents that could allow us to go anywhere we're needed. Charlotte followed my gaze to look up and we quickly took a ladder, placed it under the air vents and Charlotte climbed up first. The door had been broken down by the time Charlotte was in and I was trying to get in. I threw the screwdriver to them and it hit someone as we entered the air vents. They were slightly dusty so I couldn't use it completely to sniff us out until we had to separate. I pointed my cousin into the right direction after sneezing continuously.

I tried my best not to sneeze as I continued to crawl in the darkness of the vents. I could sometimes stop at one and watch as people crazily searched for us. I wondered how we were going to get out of school in one piece. I finally found the air vent that led me to outside the school and I could smell Henry. He was bleeding terribly and I started to get anxious as I crawled faster. When I reached the outside, I was blocked by the cover of the air vent. I knew I couldn't get it off without a screw driver so I punched it continuously. My right hand started to bleed as the air entered my bruised knuckles but I continued until the thing got bent and it fell over. I could feel my shoulder starting to bleed again as I had applied to much force in punching.

I ran to the basketball court to find Henry trying to fight twelve guys, some even taller and more muscular than he was. He had blood all over his face and he kept on clutching his abdomen in pain. My fist connected with the first boy's jaw and he stumbled away. I shook my fist as it ached in pain and now some of the boys turned to me.

I carried one and threw him away as I continued to punch and kick the others. It wasn't long before Henry and I managed to defeat them all and we left them to foam on themselves. We ran to a nearby bush knowing it would be a refuge for at least five minutes before someone found us. Mrs. Shapen spotted us in a bush and with one punch she was down, foaming at her mouth.