Chapter 30: The Silence

It had been two weeks. Two weeks from that horrible night where everyone had experienced their fears. No one had expected it to have such an effect on everyone. The highschool had been eerily quiet with troubled teens. No one wanted to talk about it and that included Blaire Winters, the so called drama queen. I couldn't say it had been going too well for my friends and I. The message that Dr. Minyak left on a wall in Blaire's house, 'I will not yield till the tiger gives in.' had made matters worse for us. People in that house saw the message and we're asking Captain Man,Kid Danger and Tigress what that meant. We obviously couldn't tell the people of Swellview, unless the tiger warrior appeared to the public. Ray found three dead bodies in the house and that was because it was suicide. It made matters worse for everyone.

My friends had changed and it was clearly evident. I was used to Jasper as the idiot but in a good way. He was always saying stupid things that made me laugh sometimes. He was cheerful, never sad but for the past two weeks, he had been silent. He had been moping around and if I didn't pay attention, someone would have thought he didn't exist.

Henry has always been calm and collected. An idiot sometimes but I never really minded. He always had an opinion to everything which I liked about him. He was caring and accepted people how they were, like me. But all of that changed since that night. He looked troubled, and didn't want to be disturbed,giving harsh remarks.

I couldn't say much about Charlotte. She was like me, hiding our emotions and pretending everything was fine. When really it wasn't. I had been seeing the tiger warrior in the school halls and it had been driving me crazy. I couldn't sleep at night, like right now. I was sitting on my bed alert like waiting for something. I looked at Charlotte who kept twisting and turning and it was becoming worse by the second. I decided to get out of bed and I walked to her and gently shook her. Her eyes shot open and she looked she wanted to scream but when she saw it was me, she relaxed.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, it was.....it was...."

"A nightmare?" I said and she nodded." How about we go for a walk?"

"Now?" She took her phone from her desk nearby." It's two thirty in the morning."

"Well that's better. Peace and quiet." I said as I walked to my closet and picked a coat.

"We're going in our pyjamas!" Charlotte exclaimed a little loud and I hushed her.

"Is anyone going to be seeing us? No. And it's just in the neighborhood." I said as I shrugged on my coat. Charlotte was now getting out of her bed still shocked." You know if it was my choice, I would be going to school in pyjamas." Charlotte now laughed as she went to get her coat.

"It's just the neighborhood, right?" She asked repeating my words.

"Obviously. If it was only me, I could have gone for a run in the forest." I said as I got on the window sill and jumped. I landed on fours and watched as Charlotte got down the trees. We started to walk away from the house, feeling the cool breeze hit our faces. We passed Henry's house and I could hear him breathing peacefully as he slept. I was glad he didn't have trouble sleeping.

"So, are we gonna talk about this nightmare or stay quiet?" I asked. I wasn't the comforting type so I was really trying my best.

She laughed." I think it's best we should not talk about it. You're not making any effort."

I acted as if her statement hurt me." I'm trying." We continued to walk in silence then she asked,

"Are you scared of anything?" I was surprised by the question.

"Why do you ask?"

" Because you act like you're not scared of anything." She answered truthfully while looking at the ground.

"I may be a shapeshifter but that doesn't mean I'm not scared of some stuff. I'm obviously not scared of the dark, spiders and snakes but I do get scared of some things. I just don't show them or mention them."

"So what are we going to do about the fears that keep haunting us every day?" She asked as I realized we were back at the house.

"Survive them." I said as I started to climb the tree.

<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<
The emergency alarm rang and Charlotte ran to the computers." There has been sightings of Dr. Minyak at the Swellview Mall. He's put two guards to sleep with a machine....."

"Okay guys let's chew and fight crime." Ray said as he popped his gum into his mouth. Henry got his gum slowly and popped it into his mouth. I could smell the anxiety and fear coming off him.

" I'm not going until I have proof we wouldn't be harmed by sleep beams." I said as I continued to drink my water.

"Yeah me too." Henry said as he sat down.

"What are you two scared of?" Ray asked. I stood up quickly and glared at his face.

"Three people died because of Dr. Minyak. Three. It won't be long till the people of Swellview blame us for the deaths. I never fight unless I have a strategy. Running into fight without a plan is like fighting when you're blind. Want to go and fight him indestructible guy? Go ahead!" I said as I sat back down leaving all the people in the room to look at me. Ray was speechless. He didn't have anything to say so he walked out of the room. I sat down in front of Henry and I felt him stare at me." Yes?"

"What?" He said a little alarmed.

"You're staring at me." I wanted to add more than usual but I looked up at him waiting for him to say something.

"Are you scared to fight Dr. Minyak?"

"No." I answered truthfully." Are you?"

"Um..... No. I'm scared at what his machines can do to people."

"That's why we should be prepared." I said and I continued to stare at my phone to avoid his eyes. I wasn't scared but I promised myself that no one was going to get hurt again and I was never going to to a place unprepared. I had started to make guesses that Dr. Minyak was working with the tiger warrior and I needed to be ready.

"Are you scared of anything?" Henry asked out of the blues.

"Why do you guys think I'm not scared of anything? Even though I got these." I said as my claws appeared and I placed my hand towards Henry's side and he started to observe them." I'm still human. I've still got emotions."

"Okay then. Tell me one of those stupid little fears you have." He said grinning.

"If I tell you mine you should tell me yours."

"Deal."

I breathed in and out slowly. I didn't like people knowing the stupid little fears I had but he was my friend anyway . And he was looking at me like I was going to give him some juicy gossip." I know I told you guys that I don't eat junk food because I'm not used to it but it is also because I'm scared I might become fat and I won't be able to fight anymore."

Henry gave me a smile that looked like he wanted to laugh which was really cute and annoying at the same time." That's interesting. Well." He looked around and said," Sometimes when I feel that someone's watching me before I sleep, I check under my bed." I smiled as he talked ,he was embarrassed.

"Now you gave me something to make fun of you." I said jokingly as I blew a hair that kept on disturbing my face. Henry reached over and I froze. He tucked the strand of hair behind my ear. I tried my best not to push his hand away because I hated when people touched my hair.

"Hmm........ I think I can handle it." He said quietly with a smirk. I looked away from him wondering why he seemed so confident. I could feel myself starting to blush by the little act. I had to get it together.

"Are you sure?" I asked." Because I may as well start right now." He frowned and I laughed but he started smiling as well. What was happening?