Chapter 47: Hypnotized

I almost wanted to cry out loud. The alarm had just rung and I was in no mood to wake up. I had barely slept four hours due to last night's robbery at some chips factory. I didn't care to say the least but Ray and Henry had been really worried that they would mess up the factory. I frowned when Ray stole two boxes of them. He was a superhero for crying out loud.

To all those who are reading, today is February second. That meant that twenty five days were remaining till 'certain doom'. While most girls my age were giggling and squealing about Valentine's day, I was running around the city trying to stop crime together with the police. Crimes were appearing from all over the place, even the smallest diners and it annoyed me.

Emaku was keeping us distracted for sure. Every time we put someone in jail, they ended up dying or escaping. Six were already dead and the mayor and the governor of the state were putting pressure on us. A couple of superheroes asked if we wanted help but I didn't want their help. Emaku was my problem.

We kept on questioning the warden but he wouldn't answer a single question without his lawyer. Ray had already guessed that the warden was working for Emaku. As if it wasn't obvious. What was Emaku offering these people?

After showering, dressing and combing my annoying straight hair that was quarter way down my back, I walked down the stairs ready for breakfast. I found my mother cooking eggs.  At least my taste for eggs never changed.  I greeted my mother and sat down on the dining room table, waiting to be served.

"The school called me yesterday and said you missed a class." My mother said as she served eggs with toast and apple juice.

"Yeah, drugs were stolen at a pharmacy. That's why I'm going to school early, to finish up school work." I said as I ate my breakfast quickly.

My mother nodded. "I never thanked you for saving my life. Thank you."I stopped eating. Did my mother just thank me? I slowly nodded.

"You're welcome. It was nothing really. You're my mother." I finished the toast and asked," You're okay, right?"

"Yes I'm fine. I was shaken before but I'm fine now."

"That's good to hear. I'm trying to remain calm for everyone although the fact that the tiger warrior has everything he needs to destroy this city scares me. I'm worried for the rest. Piper, a friend of mine, Henry's sister hasn't been the same since." I didn't know why I was blabbing to my mother because we had never been close, even when she had stayed here for more than a month.

"You mean the boy with the adorable puppy brown eyes?" My mother said excitedly and that's when I continued to eat. There was no way I was going to talk to her about Henry. I was talking about Piper, not Henry. Did she not hear what I said? "So now you're not talking to me." I drank my apple juice loudly. "I just want to know you. And that boy is something to you. I just came to Swellview to get to know you and relax. What's wrong with that?"

"Nothing." I muttered.

<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<
"Logarithmic expressions aren't as hard as people say them to be. Don't let the seniors lie to you." Mr. Harris said as he stared at all of us as if he was trying to enter our brains and put the information inside. I was so sleepy but Charlotte kept on kicking my chair so I wouldn't sleep.

"Let's start with the basics...." My math teacher continued to drone on and thoughts were running through my mind, it was like I could see them as my eyelids drooped. Emaku,Kaweme , Daniel, Bianca, doomsday, Zambia, Henry, failing, dying....... My watch started beeping, startling me as I sat up straight and turned it off. I stood up, walked to Mr. Harris and asked him permission to leave class.