Buckbeak

Most of the students were going home for the holidays. Hermione and Ron were going home to their families, both still not talking to each other. 

Harry was excited about going to Grimmauld Place and stay with Sirius, he resembled a toddler going to visit their favourite toy store. 

Ashlyn would have liked to stay at Hogwarts but felt her parents would like it better if she went home, and since she didn't think she'd have too much time for family get-togethers in the next few years, she thought it would be better she went home.

"Mione," Ashlyn said as the train neared King's Cross station.

"Hm?" 

"How does the smelling-thingy from amortentia work?" Ashlyn said still looking out of the window.

"Well, you smell things according to what attracts you," Hermione said putting her book down and staring at Ashlyn. Then a smirk spread across her face.

"Why? Do you finally have someone you fancy? Who is it?" she said eagerly.

"You smell according to what attracts you, right?" Ashlyn said slowly. "So if I like the smell itself, it would mean the smell attracts me," 

"It can be interpreted that way too," Hermione said with a small shrug, but still looking enquiringly at Ashlyn.

"Yeah, makes sense," Ashlyn said rather triumphantly. She had got the all too familiar scent of mint; which she had earlier disregarded as a bar of particularly woody, mint chocolate, from Malfoy the other day. She had always thought Malfoy would smell of expensive cologne, but maybe it was just the fanfictions speaking...But she did smell a hint of cologne...Was it citrus? She couldn't tell, but it reminded her of lemons, so it must be citrus...Maybe his cologne was just wearing off. 
So technically, since she hadn't gotten the smell of his cologne, it wasn't Malfoy. It was just mint she liked.

Ashlyn heard the snarky little voice snickering wildly. She closed her eyes in exasperation.

'Maybe,' the voice said drawling its words. 'You like how he smells without his cologne,'

'No, I don't,' Ashlyn said simply. 'I would know if I liked someone, for your kind information,'

'And for your kind information,' the voice snapped. 'You are stupid,'

Ashlyn sighed and rolled her eyes.

"So who is it?" Hermione asked eagerly, her voice bringing Ashlyn out of her reverie.

"No one," Ashlyn said nonchalantly. "It is the smell I suppose. I like that minty smell,"

"Mmhmm," Hemrione hummed in slight disbelief.

"Write to me, okay," Hermione said as they hugged goodbye at the station.

"Course I will," Ashlyn said waving goodbye.

"Hello!" she said brightly turning to her parents.

"I thought you weren't coming," Mr Clarke said testily.

"Oh, shut up," Mrs Clarke elbowed her husband out of the way and hugged Ashlyn.

"Well, I thought I'd visit you," Ashlyn said going over to hug her father.  "I was worried that you wouldn't get the letter. But looks like Dawn delivered it alright. He's home, isn't he?"

"Yes, your owl was in your room when we left," Mr Clarke said.

"Did mum scream when Dawn came in again?" Ashlyn asked as they made their way to the car.