Chamber of Secrets

Harry told Ron and Hermione everything Riddle had shown him. 

"Riddle might have got the wrong person," said Hermione. "Maybe it was some other monster that was attacking people. . . ."

"How many monsters d'you think this place can hold?" Ron asked dully.

"We always knew Hagrid had been expelled," said Harry miserably. "And the attacks must've stopped after Hagrid was kicked out. Otherwise, Riddle wouldn't have got his award."

Ron tried a different tack.

"Riddle does sound like Percy — who asked him to squeal on Hagrid, anyway?"

"But the monster had killed someone, Ron," said Hermione.

"And Riddle was going to go back to some Muggle orphanage if they closed Hogwarts," said Harry. "I don't blame him for wanting to stay here. . . ."

"You met Hagrid down Knockturn Alley, didn't you, Harry?"

"He was buying a Flesh-Eating Slug Repellent," said Harry quickly.

The three of them fell silent. After a long pause, Hermione voiced the knottiest question of all in a hesitant voice.

"Do you think we should go and ask Hagrid about it all?"

"That'd be a cheerful visit," said Ron. "'Hello, Hagrid. Tell us, have you been setting anything mad and hairy loose in the castle lately?'"

"But didn't Ashlyn say that the monster was some sort of snake?" Hermione said. And then the three of them sat in silence.

A few days later they had to choose subjects they wanted to take up next year. Wood was training the team very hard for the next match against Hufflepuff. The team's morale was not the best.

On the evening before the day of the match, Hermione ran to fetch her books. It was something that had never crossed her mind until then. She had only checked Ashlyn's books and belongings, but not hers. 

She peeled through all of Lockhart's books and then took her transfiguration textbook. There, between the pages, firmly placed was a note. Hermione's eyes widened as she saw the note. She scanned it quickly, placed the note back, and ran to the library. She searched for a book on basilisk. Finally, she found it. She scribbled everything down, and just like Ashlyn, in a corner wrote 'Pipes'. She then grabbed a mirror and was out.

The next morning, Harry was in his Quidditch robes, so was the rest of the team.

"Have you seen Hermione?" Ron asked as he sat beside him in the Great Hall. Harry shook his head. In fact, he hadn't seen Hermione since yesterday evening, after dinner.

The teams walked onto the field to tumultuous applause. Oliver Wood took off for a warm-up flight around the goalposts; Madam Hooch released the balls. The Hufflepuffs, who played in canary yellow, were standing in a huddle, having a last-minute discussion of tactics. Harry was just mounting his broom when Professor McGonagall came half marching, half running across the pitch, carrying an enormous purple megaphone. Harry's heart dropped like a stone.

"This match has been cancelled," Professor McGonagall called through the megaphone, addressing the packed stadium. There were boos and shouts. Oliver Wood, looking devastated, landed and ran toward Professor McGonagall without getting off his broomstick.

"But, Professor!" he shouted. "We've got to play — the Cup — Gryffindor —You can't cancel Quidditch!"

Professor McGonagall ignored him and continued to shout through her megaphone: