End of Year 4

Ashlyn was woken up by Hermione the next day and was dragged to the Triwizard Tournament's final winning ceremony. The whole school, all the students, the ghosts, teachers, and even the guests were there surrounded by hoards of reporters. At least Skeeter wasn't there. 

Ashlyn dozed off for most of the ceremony, only jolting awake when she heard applause and blindly clapping along with the crowd.

Cedric said that Harry had rightfully won the tournament, and so a flustered and glowing red Harry accepted his winnings.

Fudge looked cross all the time, and only grudgingly did he shake Harry's hand.

All the trouble that would come with next year. Ashlyn sighed.

"You know what this means?" Ashlyn said as she thumped Harry on the back.

"What?" Harry asked.

"You, sir, are the youngest Triwizard champion ever. Another record added to your name," Ashlyn explained.

"It's not like I wanted to participate," Harry said half indignantly, half sheepishly.

"Eyyy! So modest! And do you know what else this means?" Ashlyn teased.

"What?" Ron said

"Five years later there will most probably be another Triwizard tournament. I wish I could be here to watch that too," Ashlyn said.

"I wasn't exactly present to watch the tournament, you see,"

"And whose fault is that?" Hermione said crossly. She was still grumpy about Ashlyn not telling them about her 'visions'.

Ashlyn sighed. "When the time is right, I promise you three will the be the first ones I tell,"

Ashlyn was making her way to Dumbledore's office when she ran into Cedric.

"Hey there," she said.

"Hey, um..." Cedric started awkwardly.

"Don't sweat it," Ashlyn said. "I mean, I was shipping it all along," 

"Right," Cedric said, looking down at his feet. "Of course, you were,"

The awkwardness in the air could be sliced up with a chain saw. 

"Sooo, no third date, right?" Ashlyn said trying to make it less awkward. But then realised that it only made it even more awkward. Great going, she thought sardonically. She should have just shut her mouth.

"Er—No," Cedric chuckled.

"I've been meaning to ask. Why did you even like me?" Ashlyn asked suddenly. "There isn't anything special about me,"

'Except that, you've read everything,' the voice chimed in and Ashlyn had to agree with it. But that was all. She was a reader. And that was all it was.

"What do you mean why?" Cedric asked as though it was obvious. "Not many girls can conjure a perfect Patronus while flying a broom in a thunderstorm,"

"Ah! It was that," Ashlyn said. "I just wanted to win,"  she shrugged.

"I know. That's was just amazing. You are smart, really smart. Very witty and clever. Determined, helpful. Really brave too. You're funny, kind, understanding..." he trailed off.

". . . I had no idea how to talk to you. And I ended up asking Cho for advice, and...well, you know," He chuckled lightly. Then his smile slid off his face. 

"I know. I mean, I heard you in the library," Ashlyn confessed.

"Y-you did?" Cedric flushed a bright red in embarrassment.