Career Advice

CAREER ADVICE

All fifth years will be required to attend a short meeting with their Head of House during the first week of the Summer Term, in which they will be given the opportunity to discuss their future careers. Times of individual appointments are listed below.

The notice had come up on the common room for the fifth years.

Ashlyn had never thought about what she wanted to do after school. In fact, she was not sure she'd even be there after school. The books had only seven years of content, what if she vanishes after those seven years. But then there was still the epilogue, and the Cursed Child so she might last for some more time. Maybe nothing of that sort would happen. Maybe she is independent of the book and would go on living regardless.

Ashlyn sighed.

Ashlyn was stuck with the rest of the fifth and seventh years, who were all trapped inside, traipsing back and forth to the library. No one ever said it would be this hard...

"Well, I don't fancy Healing," said Ron on the last evening of the holidays.

Harry was immersed in a leaflet that carried the crossed bone-and-wand emblem of St. Mungo's on its front. "It says here you need at least an E at N.E.W.T. level in Potions, Herbology, Transfiguration, Charms, and Defense Against the Dark Arts. I mean . . . blimey. . . . Don't want much, do they?"

"Well, it's a very responsible job, isn't it?" said Hermione absently. She was poring over a bright pink-and-orange leaflet that was headed SO YOU THINK YOU'D LIKE TO WORK IN MUGGLE RELATIONS? 

"You don't seem to need many qualifications to liaise with Muggles. . . . All they want is an O.W.L. in Muggle Studies . . . 'Much more important is your enthusiasm, patience, and a good sense of fun!'"

"You'd need more than a good sense of fun to liaise with my uncle," said Harry darkly. "Good sense of when to duck, more like . . ."  He was halfway through a pamphlet on Wizard banking. 

"Listen to this: 'Are you seeking a challenging career involving travel, adventure, and substantial, danger-related treasure bonuses? Then consider a position with Gringotts Wizarding Bank, who are currently recruiting Curse-Breakers for thrilling opportunities abroad . . . ' They want Arithmancy, though. . . . You could do it, Hermione!" he said pushing it forward.

"I don't much fancy banking," said Hermione vaguely, now immersed in HAVE YOU GOT WHAT IT TAKES TO TRAIN SECURITY TROLLS?

"Hey," said a voice in Harry's ear. He looked around; Fred and George had come to join them. "Ginny's had a word with us about you," said Fred, stretching out his legs on the table in front of them and causing several booklets on careers with the Ministry of Magic to slide off onto the floor. 

"She says you need to talk to Sirius?"

"What?" said Hermione sharply, freezing with her hand halfway toward picking up MAKE A BANG AT THE DEPARTMENT OF MAGICAL ACCIDENTS AND CATASTROPHES.

"Yeah . . ." said Harry, trying to sound casual, "yeah, I thought I'd like —"

"Don't be so ridiculous," said Hermione. "With Umbridge groping around in the fires and frisking all the owls?"

"Well, we think we can find a way around that," said George, stretching and smiling. "It's a simple matter of causing a diversion. Now, you might have noticed that we have been rather quiet on the mayhem front during the Easter holidays?"