Chapter 18: Courage and Wisdom

Link and Zelda walked into the field together, but not too far away from Kakariko Village. They both looked at Hyrule Castle in the distance and stood in silence for a little bit, taking in the scenery, the wind, the sounds, the breath of the wild.

Link chose to break up the silence. "So, uhm... How long has it been since we actually slowed down to talk to each other?"

"A month." Zelda replied.

"Oh really? I thought it was 4 months." Link said sarcastically.

"That's because you can't help it when I'm not near you. The last time we were truly separated, it took us 100 years to reunite." The both of them sat there for a few seconds and then they started laughing together. They laughed so much that they fell to the grass in laughter. They didn't care that their clothes were getting dirty from the grass, it was a part of the fun for them. They both regained themselves and sat in the grass together. They looked at each other and then kissed each other on the lips profusely. They disengaged from the kiss.

"What about those 2 years I spent out at sea?" Link said after some silence.

"I will admit, it was a long time in Hyrule without you." Zelda fell silent. "What was it like?"

"Huh?"

"What was it like finding out that we have a child?"

"Oh. Well uh... it felt-"

"Don't sugarcoat it. Please tell me your honest thoughts on our child."

Link collected his thoughts. "Well in complete honesty, I am really happy to know that we have a child. I would be willing to do anything for our little girl. I will add that I don't like the idea of becoming the King of Hyrule." Link looked at Zelda. "Is that why you chose to keep her a secret from me?"

"Yes, that is why. I didn't want you to feel worse after knowing that Hyrule has you as it's King. I know that you love being out and about, and so do I. But as you know, looking over a kingdom, especially one that is currently at an unrest, is stressful work." Zelda curled up. "If it makes you comfortable, I can keep you as a Knight. That would involve breaking a lot of rules."

"Would rule breaking be a good thing for the people of Hyrule? Let's do it. Hopefully the court will allow it."

"I'm the Queen, so therefore I can overrule the court. And since Chancellor Aghanim has been killed, the only other person in power right now would be Roldi, the General of the soldiers."

"Did Roldi know I was the father?"

"Yes, she knew all along, and kept that fact a secret to everyone else. The soldiers around Hyrule Castle know that Hilda is my daughter, they just don't know that she is also your daughter." Zelda thought about Hilda for a little while and almost had a mini heart attack before knowing that she was safe and sound in Kakariko Village.

"Y'know, it's kinda funny." Link said breaking the silence again.

"What's funny?" Zelda asked.

"Sometimes when I was in Hyrule Castle, I actually saw Hilda. I just didn't know she was my daughter. I just thought she was some fan-girl who happened to live around the Castle."

Zelda looked at Link with a look of major judgement. "So you saw her before... and didn't think she was our daughter?"

"Well she has purple hair, and both of us are blonde. How would she have purple hair?" Link quickly thought of something else to save himself. "Also, we had sex before I went out to the sea and I was gone from Hyrule for two years, so all I saw was just some little girl that was chilling out around the Castle sometimes. I honestly thought she was someone else's daughter."