XII

When I finally had a glimpse of freedom and even went as far as tasting it's sweetness, I was glad you were the person by my side. Because with you, freedom had never tasted sweeter than it does right now.

NATHANIEL WILBUR'S POV

I've never been in an ambulance before, surrounded with so many physicians making sure I'm not dead as though my life could add some type of significant impact to the world. It was amusing to me in a way. One day you're on the verge of death and there's only one person trying to sustain you, and the next day there are more people on the scene. All looking at you. People who don't even know you, saying that you must live to sustain your parents legacy. I wanted to throw up when Goliath Johansson, one of my father's previous associates showed up at the house, offering his -so called- unconditional support to the child of his close friend because I'm hope for the future, he said that. Blabbering about how much the country is in need of young brave men like me to take on important tasks such as the one my father left behind.

Politics.

I want nothing to do with something I don't believe in.

The trip to the hospital wasn't the best thing in the world. Surgery to remove the bullets was set to begin as soon as I reached the hospital but Gwen wasn't there and that bothered me. I know Doctor Raymond is with her and she's in safe hands but I don't like not knowing exactly where she is.

We've never been separated before. It's a weird feeling not being aware of her existence especially in times like these. I'm so used to always knowing her exact location back at home...if I can even call it home. How on earth do I start to tolerate the distance from now on? I'm sure we'll both explore the World out here, trying to discover parts of ourselves we didn't know existed, and although we shall venture together...I'm sure there will be times we won't be moving hand in hand and cheek to cheek. I can't glue her to my side just because I can't imagine a life without her near to me.

And that is currently breaking my heart.

I had to go ahead and fall in love with her and now we're finally out ..... Anything is possible now. In that house we had full control of what could happen in our relationship and now neither of us have control. External forces will eventually catch up to us because that's the way of the world.

Freedom comes at a cost and I'm praying on my knees that this relationship isn't the price to be paid. I can't afford training my heart to forget Gwen because that's an impossible task.

When I woke up the next morning after my surgery, Gwen wasn't there and I honestly expected her to be the first person I see when I wake up. There's a First time for everything. I made a mental note to capture all the first moments after freedom. Like the first time I left the gates of that house to never return again. The first time I laid eyes on an actual hospital instead of that small nursing room back home, and the first time Gwen wasn't there when I woke up post surgery.

Doctor Raymond was present though. He was the one taking me to our new temporary residency . That's where Gwen was. Raymond said she has been worried and could barely sleep last night just waiting for me. I hate to see her distressed, especially because of me but I'm glad to know I've been on her mind as much as she's been in mine. I smiled for the first time after exile just knowing I'm her constant thought.

"I'm still searching for the perfect place for you two to settle in. For now, you'll both be with me at my house. For safety purposes your father's lawyer has hired a few guards. He deeply apologies for not being aware of Enzo's plans and asks that you don't fire him."