XI

Sometimes, Freedom is up to you.

NATHANIEL WILBUR'S POV

I have always pictured in my mind the scene, the act of leaving this god Forsaken place. I pictured it being difficult. The hardest thing we've ever done. With guards shooting on us, dogs employed on an heist against us. Our twisted luck and fate making all the odds even more impossible with our state of health. And then perhaps we'd either make it out safe and sound or die before we see the light.

I pictured it to be riskier than going on pursuit for a pirate's ship with lost and forgotten treasure. It was like a dream to me, just mere fantasy and harshly difficult to fulfill with everything against us. I never pictured it would be anything but bloody.

I held my woman's hand as we tried to come up with a solid plan. What can we do to get out Of here?

Our despair and desperation grew as time moved faster. I had a million thoughts running through my mind. In between our eagerness to plot a grand escape in this great war, I kept picturing the moments I shared with Gwen. Every single day growing up in this hell hole.

With her close to me, the devil's den was looking similar to paradise. The torture was bearable and her gentle kisses a sweet reward. She built me a world inside a graveyard and it florished. And in the mist of our suffering, there came love, and it was bigger than the whole sky. A sweet nothing.

After nearly forty five minutes of juggling our minds , we came out empty. There simply wasn't an escape. Even without the guards checking the inside surveillance, as soon as we step out the house, the alarms will sound. The vents in the house led to the backyard but that area is also heavily guarded. And let's say we somehow succeed to outrun the guards and their bullets despite my injuries and her asthma, the gates are sealed shut.

"If we manage to run free, we must quickly report everything Enzo did to us to the authorities so that the government head offices can be notified immediately. After that, everything that belonged to my parents will be granted to us. And every person involved in our bondage will be punished accordingly proceeding an investigation." I clarified.

Gwen didn't bother to agree or disagree but instead wrapped her arms around me tightly, burying her face into my chest. "I love you so much Nathan. Thank you for everything."

My heart shuttered into pieces.

She had given up.

"We will get through this." I embraced her. "Don't lose faith."

"I'm sorry this happened to us and I pray there is freedom and never ending happiness for us after this life." She cried bitterly against me.

"Please don't talk like this Gwen." I failed to hold down my own tears and so they fell.

"I love you more than anything, remember that okay." Her voice was filled with pain.

My soul cursed the heavens.

"I love you Gwen, more than myself." I hugged her tighter. "Your words are killing me."

They truly were.

But she still spoke,"I'm grateful we met, and grew up together, and fell in love. My world was less bitter with you in it. I've been blessed to know you and love you and touch you. There is nothing in this world I'm more grateful for that you.... nothing."