V

If you're willing to die for it, then it's worth it.

NATHANIEL WILBUR'S POV

Gwen held the bottle of whiskey in her hands that trembled. The nursing room was closed , we used duck tape found in the storage room to cover the gunshot wounds on my leg and shoulder after pouring the liquor on each. The pain was hovering strong but it had to be bared.

Her demeanor was crumbling. I stared at her face, blood on the side of her neck, it was my blood. And her cheek was bruised from when Enzo slapped her .

"Use some ice on there," I lightly caressed her sour forehead and cheek. She couldn't even look at me anymore. Not after I shot Enzo before her eyes. I wondered if she was scared of me now. Or maybe she was disappointed that I turned out to be exactly what she hated. But I had to do it. Not only because Enzo swore to kill us but because it felt like sweet justice, a deeper redemption for me. I don't know why my heart doesn't feel the guilt and I can't comprehend the severity of this as I should. I'm suppose to despair, but my entire being feels absolutely nothing but security.

It should tear me apart to have killed another human being in cold blood. But it doesn't. And that bothers me.

I'm never going to think of this again. Or replay it ever. After tonight, it shall be as though none of this ever happened. If I don't compel myself to forget this, I'll annihilate myself from inside out. The deeper I dig into this, the harder I'll fall.

Gwen leaned into my hand that laid on her cheek. She closed her eyes and used me for comfort. "Won't you look at me?" I asked her.

Those beautiful grey sad eyes pierced my soul as she stared back . "What are we going to do? Will we get out of here alive? Is this the end for us?"

We are still in the library but on a further corner from Enzo's body. The room remains dark with only the moon offering a glimmer of light.

Gwen carefully secures my injuries as we sit on the floor.

Neither of us know what to do now. I wish there was an answer. But this house is heavily guarded and I'm afraid when Enzo's faithful soldiers find us in here with his dead body, we are finished. Without Raymond, there isn't an escape.

Gwen was trying to remain so calm but every inch of her body was covered in sweat, mine as well. "What if Enzo did something to Doctor Raymond? What if he is dead? how do we escape here? I'm so afraid."

We've just killed a man and his minions will slaughter us on sight when they find this out. Whether or not Raymond is out there, we must leave.

Gwen was holding it inside, trying to be strong but how can anyone be strong in a situation like this. This is a matter of life and death. We could die tonight. And right now, we are sited here preparing ourselves for whatever happens.

Even with Enzo dead, freedom has never seemed so much further away from us.

"I don't want to die yet. I haven't lived. I'm not ready." I witnessed her tears falling like a river. God! This girl has cried too much, this pain needs to stop.

I reached for her hand and held tight. "We need to exit this room and settle else where first. Then we will try to think of something ."

She was confused but agreed with me.

I gathered my strength and got up from the floor. Gwen rushed to grab the crutches I've been using the past month from my room and I held onto them for support. I was lucky that it wasn't the same wounded leg or I wouldn't have stood.

We didn't look back at Enzo's body as we exited the library and shut the door. We left any regret behind those doors. Whatever it was that we did in there, we did it for love. I wasn't about to let that man kill Gwen, and she wasn't ready to let him kill me. Our hands might be covered in his blood but our conscious is clear.

We passed by the kitchen to get ice for her and more alcohol for me. I needed something strong, even just a glass. We stood by the counter, I massaged her cheek with ice.

We are both aware of the surveillance, but when Enzo is home the guards don't check in.

Gwen held her heart over her chest. "Oh Nathan." I drew her in my arms and embraced her tightly. Gwen clenched her fist on my shirt, her eyes looking up at me. She cried, "I don't want to lose you."

"You won't ever lose me." I assured her again. "I'm right here."

My own tears are threatening to fall.

I have promised her many things and I keep adding to those promises because I intend to fullfil each one as an obligation but right now, I have no more promises to offer. Because in reality, we might be a few minutes away to our death. And that aches my soul. To think that this is how the story ends.

I couldn't help but bring those sweet quivering lips onto mine, kissing her so deeply. Her body shuttered against me and the only strength I had was my physical, inside me was pure weakness for Gweneth Adamey. She had me wrapped around steel.

If this story ends here, then atleast I could touch her.

________