𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞: 𝟏𝟖𝐭𝐡 𝐁𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐝𝐚𝐲

"Elizabeth!" Her mother called out from downstairs.

"I'm coming!" Betty replied, quickly fixing her bedhead a little before leaving her room, walking down the staircase.

"Come quick!" Alice shouted from the kitchen, slightly worrying Betty that something bad might've happened.

"What is it?" Betty questioned, rushing in the room and stopping in her tracks.

"Happy Birthday!" Alice shouted, along with Polly.

"Polly, you're here!" Betty squealed with excitement.

"I could never miss my little sister's 18th birthday," Polly stated, hugging her. "Plus, I could use a break from college right now," She added, making Betty laugh.

"What's all of this?" Betty asked, looking around the room at all of the breakfast foods that had been scattered all over.

"Your special birthday breakfast, silly," Alice stated, acting as if this was normal.

"You did this for me?" Betty questioned, astonished.

"Why wouldn't I?" Alice responded, starting to set the table with the help of Polly.

"And we had to have a good breakfast before we start setting up for your birthday party," Polly added, dragging her over to the dinner table.

"Now, let's eat!" Alice spoke, sitting down, along with her daughters.

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

"It looks perfect," Betty stated, gazing at the setup in the backyard.

"Good, only the best for my baby," Alice responded, bringing her into a big bear hug. "God, you're growing up so fast..." She spoke before letting her go and taking a step back, tears in her eyes.

"Mom..." Betty tried to speak.

"I love you," Alice continued, her hand placed on top of Betty's shoulder.

"I love you too," Betty replied, starting to tear up as well.

"Now, let's get back to work before I start crying," Alice proposed, pulling her hand back.

"Good idea," Betty agreed, a smile on her face.

This was the happiest that she had been in a while, her mind completely wiped from the boy that had just broken her heart. Unfortunately, it was only temporary, but she was still grateful for every moment of it.

She blamed herself for falling for him. She should've just listened to him when he told her to stay away. Yet she chose to ignore it. What a dumb choice that was.

Love is dangerous.

Even that is an understatement.

It's almost lethal.

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

Betty watched as the outdoor lights began to glow in the dim light, strung from tree to tree. Tables were set underneath, a breezy white colour. Dinnerware placed down to perfection, champagne glistening under the sun as it set from behind them.

The whole backyard was gleaming under the golden light. Unfortunately, it wouldn't last forever, a few hours at most.

It was the most elegant barbeque she had ever seen. More family-friendly than formal. She made sure of that. She wanted it to feel as normal as a formal party could be.

"Elizabeth!" Her mother called out from inside the house. "Veronica's here!" She stated as Betty rushed in, eager to meet her best friend.

Betty slowly appeared from around the corner in a stunning white dress that seemed to fit her perfectly. It hugged her curves perfectly, then flowed out down to her mid-thighs, ending in a beautiful, delicate lace.

Her hair was left down, curled to perfection as it flowed around her shoulders, angelically. She also wore a pair of plain white stilettos, making sure to not overdo it too much.

"Wow Betty, you look amazing," Veronica stated, her parents behind her.

"You look beautiful Betty," Hermione spoke, Hiram nodding in agreement.

"Thank you," Betty responded, a slight pink tint on her cheeks.

"I got a gift for you," Veronica said, handing her a gift bag. "Open it!" 

"Right now?" Betty questioned.

"You can wear it tonight!" Veronica stated, shoving it into her hands.

Betty quickly opened the neatly packaged gift, revealing a diamond necklace. It was a silver chain, five diamonds scattered along the thing strand of silver, giving it a simple, yet elegant look.

"Veronica, you didn't have to do this..." Betty tried to speak.

"Yes I did, you're my best friend," The raven-haired girl assured.

"Well, I love it!" Betty replied, admiring it. 

Veronica quickly grabbed it out of her hands and spun her around to put in on her. Once it clasped together, locking in place, Betty spun back around to meet her best friend's gaze.

"It suits you well," Veronica stated, grasping her hands together.

"I can't wait to see it sparkle under the lights," Betty responded, her smile beaming.

"Lights?" Veronica questioned.

"Come on!" Betty spoke, grabbing her arm and dragging her away.

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

This was the moment she had been dreading. The part when Jughead and his family were about to arrive. She didn't know what to think of the matter, it was still all so new.

"Elizabeth, they're here!" Alice called out, careful not to yell too loud.

Betty slowly made her way towards the door, cautiously. She didn't know what to expect. She finally got to her mother, only seeing F.P. and Jellybean standing with her.

"You look beautiful," F.P. stated, smiling at the girl who was like a second daughter to him.

"Happy Birthday!" Jellybean spoke, excitedly.

"Thank you," Betty replied, responding to both of them.

"Where's Jughead?" Alice questioned, looking around for him.

"He couldn't make it," F.P. answered.

"But he wanted me to give you this," Jellybean added, handing her a medium-sized, velvet box.

"Oh," Betty said, taking the box. 

She felt oddly relieved.

After they all had walked away, Betty slowly opened the case, surprised by what she found inside.

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤