𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞: 𝐈'𝐦 𝐒𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲 𝐈 𝐁𝐫𝐨𝐤𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮

It was around 9:00 pm when Betty knocked on the Joneses house door, nervously waiting for an answer. Not even a minute later, the door swung open, revealing Jughead standing there only in a pair of sweat pants.

"Betty!" He spoke, surprised.

"I'm sorry, I should've called..." She apologized, fiddling with her fingers, nervously.

"Betts, it's fine," He assured. 

"Do you want to come in?" He questioned, moving aside to let her in. "My dad's out with Jellybean somewhere,"

"How is she?" She asked politely. The way her mother had always taught her.

"Good..." He replied, sitting down on the couch, Betty following in pursuit.

"I...um...we need to talk..." Betty stuttered, nervously.

"Ya, we should..." 

They both sat there, in an awkward silence, unsure of what to say next, hoping the other would start first. After a moment, Jughead finally broke the unbearably, dreadful silence.

"Betty, you need to stay away from me..." He said, shocking her.

"What, Why?" She quickly questioned.

"I don't want to hurt you..." He responded, glancing towards her.

"Jug..." 

"I'm no good for you," He continued, looking away again.

"You can't mean that," She replied, resting her hand on his knee which he quickly took off.

"Betty, I can't risk hurting you," He stated.

"But-" She tried to speak again.

"No, Betty," He said, standing up again.

"I just know I'd end up hurting you, that's what I always do!" He stated, already regretting what he was doing.

"You don't know that for sure..." She responded, getting up.

"Yes, I do," He replied, stubbornly.

"How?" She questioned. "You've probably never even tried,"

"I..." He stuttered, caught off guard.

"Exactly," Betty said, walking towards the door. "I have to go," She stated, walking out and slamming the door behind herself.

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

Betty would've been lying if she said she was fine after that. She was hurt. Hurt that he had pushed her away. Hurt that he didn't feel the same way as she did.

You could even say she was heartbroken...maybe.

She didn't even exactly know how she felt towards him. He was just supposed to be a family friend, nothing more, nothing less. And that's how it's going to stay now that he rejected the thought of anything to do with her.

He was right though, it probably would never have worked for them. He was the gang leader and she was the perfect girl next door, total polar opposites. Everyone could see that.

Or that's what they thought.

She wasn't perfect, she was misunderstood. They thought she lived the perfect life, but they never knew what actually went through her head.

Anxiety.

No one knew she would have anxiety attacks, not even her best friend, Veronica. The only peopled who knew was her mother, and now Jughead.

Her mother didn't care, she never had. She told Betty that she could just overcome it, but that wasn't how it worked. 

Her anxiety took over, taking her to a dark place, once again. Suddenly questioning how someone could ever love her, how they could even like her.

Betty sat on the bench, built into her window, questioning everything she possibly could.

Her self esteem was very low, but no one ever noticed that. Sometimes she wished they did, but she didn't want their pity ether.

Her mother had unknowingly, taught her how to fake everything, including happiness.

No one ever understood her, and to be honest, it hurt a little. How could people be so blind to what's right in front of them?

Life just wasn't fair. Even that was an understatement. 

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

Jughead instantly regretted everything he said as soon as she walked out the door, leaving him there, alone and even hurt. Believe it or not.

He only did it because he knew that he would somehow end up hurting her, breaking her heart if he hadn't already done that just now.

But that wasn't the only reason.

He was slightly afraid of commitment. He'd never been with a girl longer than a week or two at most. His mother leaving them might've been what caused his fear, but he didn't want to admit it. He probably never would. Not even to himself.

He was a player, that's what everyone thought. And they were right. He was a player. He used girls, then broke up with them the next day. Or if they were lucky, they'd last a week at most.

He wasn't proud of it, but he didn't care that much about it either.

He never cared about what people thought about him, who he hung out with, not even where he lived.

Other's swore he didn't even have a heart at all, but they never knew why he was like that. Why he acted that way.

He was hurt. Broken even, you could say.

No one ever knew, not even his father or sister. He never and would never tell anyone, ever.

Or that's what he thought.

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤