XXI. A Closer Walk with Thee

🤍

🤍

Despite how many she'd been to, Holly still did not like funerals. However she had to admit a New Orleans funeral was very different to a Mystic Falls funeral. People were partying and drinking and singing and dancing. Apart from everyone wearing black there would be no way to tell that the people in Rousseau's were there for a priest's wake.

Holly could see why this would work, associating mortal goodbye with a happy song, with laughter and joy, relishing in the happiness that Father Kieran lived.

However her beloved clearly wasn't a fan. Klaus had hardly uttered a word to her all morning. His face was set in a frown, like her very presence was disturbing. At first Holly had put it down to grief, but there appeared to be something more. Something he wasn't willing to talk to her about.

And she understood, really she did. She understood how Klaus felt responsible for Cami, felt like he was to blame for her uncle's death. Holly also understood that no words could remove his guilt, only time. And time appeared to tick on forever.

It had felt like months since Holly last saw Hayley, but in reality it had been a few weeks. It really was something when you're reunited with your friend, only for it to be at a funeral.

Getting another round of drinks was very difficult, as the whole bar was completely crowded. Holly had to push and shove just to avoid being shoved out out of the vacuum that was the bar stools. She even unabashedly used the pregnancy card, guilt tripping a man into removing his pushy elbow from her arm. With her energy somewhat depleted, Holly had to take a deep breath before she walked back over to the table. She was ready to no longer feel like a hippo.

Hayley joined her, taking the bottle out of her hands before she dropped it. Sliding into the booth beside Klaus, Holly was quick to refill his glass.

"I will warn you, Hayley," Elijah said somewhat joking, "Niklaus is in a spectacularly foul mood today."

"Sod off," Klaus grumbled.

"What's the deal with these moonlight rings?" Hayley leant forward, looking around conspicuously to see that no one was looking. "Oliver's trying to start a revolution every 5 seconds and frankly I'm tired of stalling."

"It's a day of peace, Hayley, try and enjoy it," Klaus was not having it. "In the meantime, with all manner of unknown enemies conspiring against our family, you'll move back in with us."

"Why?" Hayley asked confused.

Klaus sighed, "because Hayley you are currently sired to Holly. Which means that despite all common sense, she will come rushing to the wolves' aid every time you ask. I am working on the moon rings and I'm making progress to find out who launched the attack in the bayou. But until then you will come and stay at the compound for both of your safeties. As of right now, I will finish this bottle and the next in the hopes of drowning the demon that has chosen today to haunt me. Cheers Mikael, impeccable Freudian timing."