VIII. Chasing the Devil's Tail

Holly was walking across the courtyard, a bowl of cold water and a rag in hand as Klaus strode out of Elijah's room

Holly was walking across the courtyard, a bowl of cold water and a rag in hand as Klaus strode out of Elijah's room. He still hadn't woken, still under Esther's spell, and his fever hadn't broken. 

"Where are you off to?" Holly panicked slightly as his determined gaze. This was his murder face. 

"I'm going to find the root of a Merlock plant," Klaus helpfully explained, "stay here with Hayley. Don't do anything stupid."

He carried on, barely stopping to talk to her. 

"Right," Holly watched in bewilderment as he walked out of the gates, "ok. Glad we cleared that up."

Stepping into the threshold of Elijah's room, Holly set the bowl down on the table, "what's a Sherlock plant?"

"Merlock," Hayley looked up from beside Elijah, her hand drifting away from his face slightly, "it's the plant Esther used to put him to sleep. The roots will wake him up."

"And why are we suddenly on house arrest?"

"I might have mentioned a desire to kill Esther," Hayley grimaced. 

"Welp," Holly tutted, squeezing the excess water out of the rag, "guess we cross that off the bucket list."

Walking over, she passed Hayley the cloth. 

Watching as Elijah fought whatever nightmare was playing through his mind, Holly felt her resentment brewing, simmering. 

"Why don't we take a page out of her book, then?"

Hayley looked back at her. 

"Why kill her when we can kill everyone she loves?"

🤍

Holly sat in the passenger seat, her feet up on the dash as she looked out of the window into the dark trees that shrouded the bayou. She always loved the serenity and peace that came with nature. All peace was destroyed however when Hayley came crashing through the trees. 

"Any luck?" Holly leant forward as Hayley ducked into the car. 

"No one showed up to Ollie's funeral," Hayley explained, handing Holly a half-empty bottle of whiskey. 

Despite saving Ollie, the witches had already cursed him. But instead of dying on a stick in a graveyard he died surrounded by people who cared about him. 

"They'll come around Hayley," Holly patted her friend's shoulder as Hayley turned on the ignition, "it takes time."

"Months later..." Hayley shook her head, "and we're all still trapped grieving the repercussions of that day."

Holly had nothing to say to that. Hayley was right of course. The day of Hope's birth was the day of their downfall. 

Taking a swig of the whiskey, Holly gagged, "no wonder Jackson's so depressed. How cheap is this garbage?"