XIII. Crescent City

🤍

🤍

One of the Harvest girls had broken out of her own tomb. Very much alive. Monique Deveraux had been resurrected. What this meant was lost on Holly, although a glimmer of hope shone through that maybe the three others would wake up too. 

As Holly hung up the phone on Sophie, the picture became even foggier, blurring slightly. Hayley called her name, stood out on the balcony. Holly could tell from her urgent tone that something was wrong, following her friend's footsteps and peering down into the courtyard. 

The same salt ring that had surrounded Rebekah just a few days ago was now on the courtyard floor, with an unfamiliar man in the middle. His throat was slit. Holly's mouth dropped to one of shock, hurrying along the balcony to the stairs as a crowd of vampires began to surround the body.

"Who is that?" Hayley asked, right on Holly's heels. 

"Why are there always dead people in the courtyard?" Holly exclaimed, "is there no security or anything?"

"It's Papa Tunde," Diego called, hanging up the phone, "Klaus and Marcel are on their way back."

The two had gone to the first chapel service, both having funded the church's reopening. To celebrate the opening, and to gain intel on the whereabout's of Papa Tunde and his next moves. Ironic as Papa Tunde was in their house and his next move would be to the nearest funeral home. If Klaus even gave him the luxury. 

"Is this good?" Hayley nudged Holly, who was stood in silence, pondering. "If he's dead, then it's over, right?"

"Someone's taken all his power," Holly gestured to the salt ring, "so it's over for him, but not for us. Whoever did this, clearly has a vendetta and a hell of a lot of new power."

"I would say it's only just getting started," Elijah appeared next to them, and Holly noticed Hayley tensing. 

Klaus and Marcel arrived back promptly, shooing the nosy vampires out of the courtyard as Elijah studied the body closely. With a disgusted gag, Hayley held her hands up, disappearing back upstairs. Holly didn't know if it was the smell of the decomposing body or the idea of having a conversation with Elijah that sent her into hiding. 

"Can I get you anything, brother? A pipe perhaps? Or a magnifying glass?" Klaus teased.

"You have a theory you'd like to share with us, Niklaus?" Elijah peered intensely at Tunde's throat, Holly peering intensely at anything but. 

"Back in the day, the witches wanted to send a threat, they'd just kill a chicken and leave it on your doorstep," Marcel shrugged. 

"It's rather a large and ominous chicken, wouldn't you say?" Elijah finally stood up. 

"Papa Tunde defeated Rebekah with ease, almost got the two of us as well," Klaus gestured to Marcel, "if he was supposed to be their prize fighter, why leave him for dead in our front yard?"