XII: Dangerous Liaisons

The next morning, Holly was hungover

The next morning, Holly was hungover. She woke up in her own bed, thankfully, with vague memories of a guy in a bar. As far as she could remember, nothing happened except shots and casual chit chat. But still, it had been nice to have a normal night with a normal person, even if said night had started with Holly killing Ric. Elena and Matt had taken him to the hospital as soon as he woke up late last night. As Elena discovered in a late night carpark brawl, Klaus was no longer the only Original threat. 

"It was their mother Esther who was sealed in that coffin," Elena told Holly and the Salvatore brothers as they slumped in the Gilbert kitchen. She had 'caught up' with Elijah last night, Klaus' nicer brother. 

"As in the Original Witch?" Stefan tossed an apple in his hand. 

"What? How is she even alive?" Damon exclaimed, "I thought her hybrid freak show of a son ripped her heart out a thousand years ago."

"Are we really surprised though? Dead takes on at least ten different meanings." Holly finished the pot of coffee. 

"I guess she had a couple of connections in the witching community." Elena leant on the countertop, "Elijah said that she wants to live in peace with her family, including Klaus."

"The guy who ripped her heart out?" Holly raised an eyebrow. This family was straight out of a tv show. 

"She was supposed to be the weapon to help us kill Klaus," Stefan was clearly not onboard with the family bonding. 

"Yeah, well, not anymore. At least, not according to Elijah."

"That coffin was the only thing stopping Klaus from tearing us to shreds," Stefan began pacing.

"Anyone else feeling a little used right now?" Damon gave the table a death stare. 

"Look, Elijah promised me that his family wouldn't hurt any of us."

"Do we trust Elijah? I've never met him, but we've all met his siblings," Holly shrugged, "I just think we should be cautious." Before Elena could brush all of Holly's worries away the doorbell rang. "Anybody expecting anyone?" 

Elena began walking to the door, "for the record, I believe him." As she opened the door, the other three remained in the kitchen, sharing a doubtful look. "Holly, there's a card for you." 

"What?" Holly frowned, the three walking down the hallway as Elena picked up two cards "Who dropped it off?"

"No-one. It was just on the porch along with a card for me." Elena passed the card before opening her own. 

Holly Gilbert, 

Her name was written in cursive ink on the envelope, which Holly discarded as she began to read the note. 

"What is it?" Damon asked Elena as Stefan looked over Holly's shoulder. 

"Please join the Mikaelson family, this evening at seven o'clock for dancing, cocktails and celebration." Elena recited.