XVIII. Moon Over Bourbon Street

🤍

🤍

Hey, it's Elena, leave a message. 

Holly hung up with a sigh, her breath appearing in a cloud in front of her face, wrapping her coat further around her. A discomfort was nestled in her chest, pressing down against her lungs. It had been days since she had spoken to anyone from Mystic Falls. And even then, it was casual chit-chat, simple how are you's and miss you's. For all Holly knew, the entire town she grew up could have exploded in a mass of smoke and all of her friends had settled down on Mars. Part of her felt left out, but she mainly felt sad. Sad that the people who once consumed her life were no longer in it. 

It felt like everyone else had grown up around here, as silly as it sounds. Or maybe it was that she was the only one who hadn't. Hayley was out in the bayou, preparing for the next full moon when the werewolf clan would forever break their spell. Rebekah was gone in the wind. The vampires had deserted the Mikaelson compound, now killing in rampages. The witches were doing the same. Cami was desperately trying to save her uncle. Marcel was banished from the French Quarter. Elijah was, as always, searching for the secret answers to peace. And Holly was stuck feeling alone, which was ironic as another heartbeat was attached to hers. In the past month, her only respite was Klaus, sometimes not leaving his side for days as the two remained locked away in his room. Both hiding from reality, although two different aspects. 

Everything had gotten so dark and angsty, and Holly missed being carefree. And as she shoved her phone in her pocket, a sensation of fear smothered her dread, adding more weight. Her daughter would grow up in the supernatural world. The baby would never get the seventeen years of ignorant bliss Holly had. What if there was no innocent happiness in her daughter's life? 

The thought was dangerously close to pushing Holly onto the verge of tears. Stepping back into the warmth of the compound, Holly shut the balcony doors behind her. Turning around, she smiled as Klaus stood still, his paintbrush and tray of colour in his hands. His eyes were glued to the canvas, concentrating as he bit his lip. 

"Why so serious?" Holly laughed lightly, stepping beside him to see his artwork. It was a dark night sky, the canvas covered in variations of grey and blue, "wow."

"You know, the whole point is you're not supposed to look until I'm done," Klaus glanced at her, smiling as her eyes roamed across the painting taking it all in. 

"I struggle to see how you could make this any better," Holly mused, leaning against his shoulder, "perfection cannot be improved."

"You're telling me," he quipped, turning around as the door opened. 

Holly followed, watching as Elijah walked in. 

"Apologies for my intrusion, but your little..." Elijah narrowed his eyes at Klaus, "friend is downstairs."

Holly huffed, rolling her eyes and stepping away from Klaus. He ignored it, use to her frustration by now, as Elijah continued, voicing his scepticism. "You do recall that... woman kidnapped Holly and tortured your sister?"