VII. My Brother's Keeper

"Ok, run this by me, one more time," Holly and Elena walked through the Lockwood mansion, past busy people rushing around to set up for the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant

"Ok, run this by me, one more time," Holly and Elena walked through the Lockwood mansion, past busy people rushing around to set up for the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant. "You found out Stefan was only being shady to find you a cure, so you break up with him."

"That's not why I broke up with him," sighed Elena, "and I also found out you were involved too! I really don't think you should be hanging around with Klaus, Holly."

"Huh, little missy, don't divert the conversation. Why the hell did you break up with Stefan?"

"It's not fair on him, Holly. I can't help how I feel about Damon and it wouldn't be right if I just pretended I didn't have feelings for him."

"Ughh, Elena!" Holly despaired, "you told me this was over! That you'd made your decision. You cannot keep doing this. This isn't a 'hmm which Salvatore shall be my boyfriend today?'"

"That's why I broke up with him!" Elena urged.

"Oh God, honey. You want my advice?"

"No."

"Shut up, Elena." They stepped out onto the patio, the garden bright with flowers as all the arrangements were being placed, "look, Damon's the bad guy, you know, the player, the hottie, the little bit of rough. And it'll be all cute and he'll be protective but he's always going to be the bad guy. You won't change him, Elena. You'll just change to be with him, in the process losing your compassion. If that works for you, go for it! But if you want husband material, you know, the guy who has literally spent the last week risking his relationship with you for the chance that you could be human again, call Stefan and apologise."

"Can I not just have a moment where I figure out what it is I want?"

Holly spotted Caroline, who hung up the phone as she saw the Gilberts, smiling and waving them over.

"You've broken Stefan's heart, Elena. If you wait to long, you'll lose him. For good this time." Holly gently patted her arm before walking over to Caroline. After a quick hug, she was immediately put to work.

🤍

About an hour later, Holly and Elena were busy finishing the final table arrangement. The gorgeous roses and lillies filled the centre of the table in a pop of reds and yellows, contrasting the bright green grass underfoot.

"Look, I'm your best friend and I would never pick sides," Caroline walked over with her clipboard. "But are you sure that this is what you want? Because Stefan is your soulmate."

Holly raised an eyebrow causing Caroline to shake her head, "sorry. Picking sides."

"It's not like I don't love Stefan anymore, but I can't deny that ever since I turned, my feelings for Damon have become more intense."