XVII: Before Sunset

Pop

Pop. Pop. Pop.

Holly pricked the balloons one by one, relishing in the thrill it gave her as Caroline entered the school hall. "Where's Matt?"

Rebekah and Holly looked up quickly, before resuming their tidy up. "He bailed. Got called into work at the last minute."

"Are you kidding me? So it's just us?" shaking her head Caroline walked over to the messy tables.

"Yes, and you're late." Rebekah snapped, "clean up committee started at eight."

"It's like 8:02," Caroline frowned.

"Exactly. I managed to turn up on time and I didn't even get to attend the dance that I organized."

"If it's any consolation, it wasn't the best. The party was great... But the fun sure ended quickly." Holly picked up the burst balloons off the floor.

The entire school was trashed, litter scattered down the hallways and glitter absolutely everywhere. Holly was never one for volunteering to clean up, but being Caroline's friend had its cons, one being her name was put down for absolutely everything. Still, she needed a distraction today.

"Have you slept?" Caroline narrowed her eyes at Holly, taking in the dark circles her concealer failed to hide. 

"No."

"What did you do all night then?"

"I went to my old ice rink." Holly tried to change the subject before Caroline continued the interrogation. "I'm sorry about your mom, Rebekah. I mean, I know you like, hated her but still. I'm sorry."

Rebekah paused her emptying of the trash. "I'm sorry about your friend. He seemed nice."

Holly nodded, "yeah. He was. Um, speaking off, I'm gonna go check his classroom. See if there's anything to take home."

Ric's classroom wasn't too far away, and as Holly entered she was hit by nostalgia. It was funny how all the things she deemed normal, going to class and training with Ric, they'd all just be memories from a different time. Opening his cupboards she rummaged through. Holly wondered if today documented another time stamp. There was before and after her parents deaths, before and after Jenna's death and now a before and after Alaric's death. Her phone began to ring, pulling her away from the sad thoughts and as Holly answered she could hear Caroline frantically running. 

"Holly! Alaric's transitioned and he's at the school. You need to get out of there!"

Holly's heart began beating through her ear drums. Hanging up, she slowly rose to her feet as the atmosphere around her shifted, causing goosebumps to errupt on her arms.

"You're right behind me, aren't you?"

🤍

"Listen carefully," Alaric spoke on the phone, "I'm at the school. And I have Holly. If you want to keep her alive, I need you to get into your car and come down here right away. Tell anyone where you are going, I will kill her." He hung up, glaring at Holly.