XXI. The City Beneath The Sea

Holly awoke with a start, nightmares of black dahlias twisting around her scaring her awake

Holly awoke with a start, nightmares of black dahlias twisting around her scaring her awake. Her hands went to her face, pushing back her messy hair and rubbing her sleep-deprived face. 

The car seat was hardly a comfortable bed, but Holly didn't trust any nearby motels or stops. On the passenger seat across from her, her grimoire was open, the protection spell surrounding the car on the open page. 

Thinking back to last night, Holly's head fell into her palms. She had essentially kidnapped her daughter and fled. Although, by any account, they didn't make it far. Holly had underestimated how hard it was to drive with eyes full of tears. 

She did this. She always does this. 

Gives too much power to the wrong people and then gets surprised when they turn around and hurt her. 

Klaus does not trust her as she trusts him. And Holly foolishly thought otherwise. 

Maybe she did think she had fixed him. Boldly assumed that if he had turned her fears and insecurities into minor inconveniences she had done the same for him. But every time Holly shut her eyes, she saw his face from last night. 

Remembered how she had to sire him to not kill her. 

That really put things into perspective. 

And now here she was; in a truck stop near the Bayou with her nine-month-old daughter, questioning the entirety of the past two years. 

Holly had spent much of her high school years crying in her friends' arms, wondering why whichever jerk she was currently dating didn't love her. Now she had left all of her friends, so it was her own arms wrapped around her as she wondered whether or not Klaus had ever loved her. 

Babbling from the backseat pulled Holly out of her own head. Climbing awkwardly into the back, Holly tried to smile at her little baby, although it didn't quite reach her eyes. 

"Good morning," she whispered, tenderly stroking the sleepy girl's cheek. Hope reached out her arms and Holly gently pulled her into her chest. Snuggling her close, Holly took a deep breath. 

She had all the love she needed right here.

Leaning back, Holly spotted her phone on the floor, switched off after she got angry with the notifications pouring through. 

"What do you think, hmm?" she murmured to Hope, pressing kisses on her head, "do you think we're far enough away?"

Leaning down, she picked it up, turning it back on. 

Initially, Holly was confused as no messages or missed calls came through. Not only confused but incredibly close to bursting into tears. 

Then the phone had finished restarting and she couldn't even get past the lock screen because of the swarm of incoming messages. She frantically turned it onto silent, the noise too much for her fragile state.