IV. The Reckoning

Holly sat on the floor of the classroom, carefully setting the mouse traps

Working in the dark, the friends hurried to fill the room with as many traps as possible. Senior Prank night, baby.

The door opened, and before Holly could even open her mouth in warning a repetitive snap bounced through the room as all the traps went off.

"Oh come on! Seriously!" Caroline yelled in despair as Matt stood at the door, terrified.
"Do you know how long it took for us to set all this up?!"

"Forgot about Senior Prank night, huh?" Tyler asked Matt as Bonnie helped Holly off the floor.

"Clearly," Matt remained in a state of shock.

"How could you forget? We've been waiting for this since like freshman year." Caroline looked over at her friends for support.

"Yeah, Matt. If I'm doing this, you're doing this." Elena laughed.

"I'm kind of surprised any of you are doing this," Matt shrugged.

"Trust me, we are too." Holly huffed, giving Caroline a fake look of annoyance.

"Caroline's making us," explained Bonnie.

"We're about to be seniors! These are the memories that stay with us forever, and if we don't-"

"And if we don't create these memories now, what's the point of it all." Elena finished her sentence, mocking Care slightly.

"Go ahead and make fun, I don't care."

"You're all lame. And I've got ten more classrooms to prank." Tyler grabbed his duffel bag, walking over the deactivated traps.

Elena stood up, following him as Holly called out, "oi! Where are you off to?"

"To superglue Alaric's desk shut." Elena smiled at the door. "I'm making memories."

"I love you!" Caroline shouted as Elena left.

"I'm hungry." Holly announced, "I'm going to go 'prank' near the vending machines."

"Be quick! And then go help the hall!" Caroline instructed, Holly sending her finger guns before walking out.

The corridors were quiet, although in less than 12 hours they would resume their usual chaos.

Walking towards the lunch hall, Holly stopped as she saw a shadow run past her peripheral vision. Turning around, there was nothing. Resuming her walk, the only sound was Holly's heel tap, tap, tapping along the floor.

The last time she was alone in school...

Holly shuddered, quickly pushing the though out of her head. She wasn't alone this time, the entire senior year was here. Reaching the vending machines, Holly glanced around. She hated how quiet the huge hall was. Trying to shake off her paranoia, Holly began singing quietly, her weird go-to response whenever she felt scared. For some reason, this night called for Bruno Mars. Fingers rummaging through her jacket pocket, Holly smiled as she pulled out a dollar. Plugging '18b' into the machine, Holly cursed as her Oreos got stuck.