VI. We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes

Holly was sleeping peacefully, dreams of beaches and sand that turned into sugar when Elena screamed out for her

Holly was sleeping peacefully, dreams of beaches and sand that turned into sugar when Elena screamed out for her. It was a shrill, loud shout that caused Holly to jump awake, her heart pounding through her ears.

Immediately she leapt up out of bed, her bare feet landing on the carpet. Fear crawled down her spine and settled in her stomach, nibbling away like a parasite. Opening her door, Jeremy stood on the other side of the landing, cautiously peering out of his room.

"Stay here," Holly ordered as she readjusted her pyjama tank top, wiping her sweaty palms on  her light pink sweatpants. "Don't come downstairs until I tell you to."

Jeremy nodded, still standing in his doorway as Holly hurried down the stairs, narrowly avoiding falling flat on her arse.

Approaching the kitchen she could hear Elena groaning, panting heavily. Holly's pace quickened as she sensed Elena's panic and distress.

Running into the kitchen, Holly let out a breathe of relief to see Elena alone and seemingly unhurt, stood with her back to Holly. However, this relief vanished instantly as Holly saw the knife in Elena's hand, swinging around to her neck, puncturing it as Holly let out a scream.

Taking a painful breath, Holly took a step away from her sister as Elena pulled the knife out. Elena's face instantly filled with horror, the knife clashing to the ground. "Oh my God!"

Holly's eyes were wide with horror as she began to fall back.

"Holly! Holly, no! No, no, no!" Elena caught her, pulling her into her arms as Holly struggled with whether or not to push her away.

She couldn't talk as her neck throbbed, her white tank top with the pretty little pink hearts now covered in blood as it gushed out of her neck.

"No, no! Holly! Holly, stay with me!" Elena shrieked as she struggled to drag Holly's limp body across the kitchen. She had one hand on Holly's neck, applying pressure, the other pulling Holly's waist flush against hers.

Holly's back arched as Elena struggled to keep her off the floor, her head swaying terrifyingly as she saw Jeremy appear through her blurry haze.

"Jeremy, you have to help me! Please, Jere!" Elena screamed as Holly stared up at her, weakly holding onto her arm.

Jeremy ran over, holding Holly up as they hurried to move her to the sink.

"Hold on, Holly, please." Elena fumbled with the taps, turning them on as Jeremy gently pulled Holly's head up into the sink. "Jeremy, go run a bath. Now!"

Jeremy looked hesitant to leave but Holly slowly nodded her head. Her mouth opened as the cool water hit her neck, spreading through her body like an ice cold drink. The blinding pain began to lessen as Elena tried to push Holly further back against the counter to cover the wound completely.