I. Growing Pains

"She's up," Damon walked into the kitchen angrily

"She's up," Damon walked into the kitchen angrily. "And already refusing to be a vampire." He opened the cabinet, pulling out the bourbon.

"Too bad," Holly shook her head, "Did Stefan tell her about Bonnie's plan?"

"Sure did," Damon ignored Stefan as he walked in, "way to get her hopes up for something that has never happened in the history of vampirism."

"Know what? You weren't there the day Elena looked me in the eye and told me she absolutely never wanted this." Stefan defended.

"Ok, let's not pretend no-one saw this coming. I mean, honestly, it's a miracle she made it so long as a human." Holly drained the last of her coffee, her head slightly sore. 

"How could you let her die?" demanded Damon, ignoring Holly. 

"I never meant for her to die." Stefan jabbed, "She asked me to help Matt first and I did."

"And now the world has one more quarterback." Damon sneered, "Bravo, brother."

"I made a choice that I will regret for the rest of my life," Stefan squared up to Damon, "now let met try and fix it."

Rolling her eyes as Stefan walked out, Holly straightened, "can we quit pretending like this isn't best case scenario? If last night went any differently, we'd be planning a funeral right now."

"Little Miss Doom's become Little Miss Sunshine, who would've thought," mused Damon as Holly went upstairs to go check on Elena. 

"Morning," Holly stood by her door, "how you holding up?"

"Not very well," Elena hurried into Holly's arms. "I don't want to be a vampire, Holly."

"I know you don't," Holly held onto her tightly, "it's going to take some time before you come to terms with it, but thankfully you've got a lot of time."

"You don't think Bonnie's spell will work?" Elena pulled away. 

"I think if there was a cure it would've been found by now," sighed Holly, rubbing her eyes. 

"You still haven't slept," Elena scolded, "Holly!" 

"I'll be fine Elena," assured Holly, "two days without sleep won't kill me. Have you spoken to Jeremy?"

"Yeah, and he agrees with me," Elena was defiant, "I can't be a vampire."

"Yes, you can, Elena. The sooner you accept that the easier this transition will be."

"How can you say that? Do you really want me to be a vampire?" Elena stepped away, both angry and hurt. "I'm throwing away all my hopes and dreams and my-"

"Elena, you were dead! I dragged your dead ass out of the river and conjured a whole tropical storm trying to wake you up! You have been giving all of your hopes and dreams back, because if that blood wasn't in your system, you wouldn't be alive right now. So if you want pity, talk to someone else because finding out you weren't dead was the happiest moment of my life. So go ahead and hate me for that, I dare you." Holly walked into her room, shutting the door behind her.