Part III Chapter VII

PART III

SASUKE

In the distance, Kyra cursed while punching at a tree with her chakra encased fist, the entire tree disappearing a mere moment afterward. Everyone eyed her with a flurry of emotions ranging from wariness to amazement, the latter belonging to Orochimaru of course, who, for some odd reason, couldn't take his eyes off of the girl since they started their journey. Meanwhile, Sasuke observed her and her current state of being. He knew her, thus knew based on the tensing of her shoulders as well as her dulled eyes that she just had a vision. Of what, he didn't know, but it must have been serious.

For a brief moment, he found his feet slightly inching toward her form. Something similar to that of an electric shock jolted through his body when he realized what he was doing and straightened up immediately. It was a good thing he did so as well, seeing as Kyra straightened up and proceeded walking almost as if everything was forgotten.

But, as she walked past him, he couldn't help himself and reached out to grasp her wrist. The words came tumbling out of him before he could register them.

"What did you see?"

Kyra eyed him with that blank expression. It unnerved him, seeing her look at him with nothing, and he didn't know why she stared at him like that.

"The people I've sworn to protect are dropping like flies in the front lines," she finally spoke, causing his eyes to widen. For the past hour or so that they've been walking, he'd been trying to talk to her, to get to hear her voice, only for her to brush him aside and continue moving for the sake of time. "I just saw Neji Hyuuga die." He knew the guy, though he hadn't seen him for a long time.

When she brushed off his arm and started walking again, Sasuke fell into step beside her, slightly more at ease over the fact she didn't try to move away as she did before. Perhaps now was a good time to try asking again.

"What did you do to Itachi?"

She didn't glance at him then, but a small smile ended up on her face at the mention of his older brother's name. "I thought I told you we didn't have time for explanations-"

"Well, we do now, don't we?" The sass floated out from his mouth before he could hold his tongue. He quickly spoke another sentence, this one a little more gentle. "My brother, who I thought was dead, is now alive...I just wanted to know how you did it."

Kyra thought to herself for a few moments before finally speaking. "It wasn't really me, you see. You remember the necklace I received in that envelope a few months back?" He nodded and she continued. "It belonged to the Goddess who sent me here, Epoch. She sealed one of her techniques in that necklace that was to be activated when I reached a certain point in time, that being the death of your brother. That was it."

Sasuke remained silent this time, mulling over her explanation. Truthfully, he didn't really understand or wrap his head around how a technique so powerful could exist. Now he knew it wasn't hers to begin with, but rather that of a literal God. That must explain her sudden disappearance as well as the unexpected surge in mastery of her own powers. Kyra must have spent all this time with Epoch preparing for this war.

"Why?" he couldn't help but ask. It wasn't as if he weren't grateful, but why was his brother brought back? Out of everyone in this world who had died...why him of all people?

"Ah, I've been thinking about that for a while too. Epoch doesn't like to give me straightforward answers, but rather let me figure things out myself. My guess is that he's too important in this timeline. He's needed in order for this world to win against the forces trying to take it over. Maybe in another timeline, they would've won without him."