Part II Chapter III

PART II

KABUTO

The Goddess Child was safe.

That was what Kabuto assured to Orochimaru when he met up with the snake man and the pale Leaf shinobi back at the sight of the battle. His observant eyes could clearly see that Orochimaru was nearing his limit, perhaps even at it, and so they began moving. Kabuto had to set traps since the Leaf had been following them for quite some time. It seemed they didn't want to lose another of their teammates. Speaking of...

"So, Sai," Kabuto spoke. He readjusted the knocked out girl on his back since she began to slip off while they jumped from tree branch to tree branch. All her muscles were like cooked noodles at this point, the serum Kabuto had given her putting her into a deep sleep. "I'm surprised you're not the least bit concerned about this girl on my back. Kyra, was her name? She is your teammate after all."

"I couldn't care less," was all Sai had said as he gave Kabuto another one of his fake smiles. Kabuto smirked. Here he was thinking that all Leaf shinobi were alike in the fact that they'd never sell out their comrades. Danzo sure was one to break a person's spirit.

"Kabuto, are you sure that this girl is the one?" Orochimaru couldn't help but speak out. He sneered at her small figure. "She seems rather weak. To have let her guard down enough for you to get close to her with no fight is not something I see as valuable."

"I assure you Lord Orochimaru, her chakra was special. It was like something I've never seen before."

"Individual people can have special traits, Kabuto. If it so happens that you're wrong and had wasted my time, there will be repercussions."

Kabuto decided not to rebuke with another one of his sassy remarks. Ever since Orochimaru lost his ability to conjure up jutsu with his arms, he'd gotten more impatient. A threat like that was best to leave hanging in the air.

Some time later, after a brief stop for Kabuto to clean his scalpels in a river they had found, they finally arrived at the hideout. He wasn't surprised to see Orochimaru's favorite sitting impatiently at the other end of the entrance room.

"You're late, Orochimaru."

Kabuto hated when Sasuke spoke to his Lord in that degrading tone. He warned Sasuke. "Watch your tone Sasuke."

Orochimaru chuckled. "It's all for good reason, my boy. Look, I brought someone you may find amusing. He's a Leaf shinobi, just like you."

Sai began to speak. "You're Sasuke Uchiha right? My name is-"

"Get lost."

Kabuto sighed. There he goes again with that nasty attitude of his. He should have beat some sense into him when he was younger.

"It seems that everyone has a tendency to hate me right when they meet me," Sai continued to speak. "Naruto was like that as well. You know, he's quite bent on getting you to return back to the village."

Sasuke snapped. His glowing scarlet eyes settled on Sai then, and the poor boy was caught in a fear inducing genjutsu. Sai backed away until he finally collapsed and Kabuto noted that was the first true emotion he saw Sai possess. Still, he didn't want Sai to end up emotionally scarred to the point he'd be rendered mentally useless. It had happened before, after all.

"Sasuke!" Kabuto warned. Sasuke stopped after a moment. What a drama queen.

"It's best not to push him too far," Orochimaru spoke with a hint of amusement in his voice. "He's even more difficult than I am. Sasuke, try not to kill our allies, hm? Speaking of, we've brought you another one of your Leaf friends. A girl this time. Does this pique your interest?"