Part II Chapter II

PART II

KYRA

Kyra grimaced as Naruto began yelling at Sai for the umpteenth time. The blond was upset because Sai had abandoned them during their training exercise against Yamato. She saw it all; the way Naruto went up against Yamato so quickly- with barely any teamwork as well- the way Sai hid in the bushes and waited for the right time to strike alone, and the way Yamato used their lack of coordination to his advantage.

"Your way of going about battles is exhausting," Sai commented with a smile. "With that attitude, I'm surprised you're not dead already."

"Say that again!"

"Your way-"

Kyra cut them off and focused on the weird feeling that had been following her for practically the entire day. It started when she woke up. A feeling of anxiety and unease. Her entire being was as restless as her mind was. She couldn't concentrate on their breakfast, nor observing the team's survival exercise that they were doing for the third time. She just couldn't shake it.

"Kyra, what do you think?"

She snapped back into reality and saw that all members of the team were staring at her. Yamato's expectant stare made her blood run cold for a bit.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention," she admitted. Yamato sighed, as if he had expected that answer.

"Forget it...Naruto and Sai, you two need to get it together for the real mission. Sakura, be the anchor keeping them in line. I'm going to have a word with Kyra. You three review the battle plans."

Oh boy.

As the rest of the team moved a ways away, Kyra stayed in her seated position at the base of a tree, Yamato taking his time walking to her. He had his arms crossed and an expectant look on his face.

"Why have you been zoning out the entire day?" He didn't take his time in asking questions, that was for sure.

Kyra shrugged and glanced away at the grass. She could see each individual blade bending as the winds pushed at it. It seemed like it would be quite a windy day.

"I'm not sure. I just feel like something's about to go wrong."

Yamato sighed. "Well, we're dealing with Orochimaru and the Akatsuki, so I'm fairly certain something will go wrong anyways. What's important is that we're as prepared as we can be. You remember your instructions, right?"

She nodded. "Stay with the group, and if a fight breaks out, return back to camp."

"That's right." He sat down in front of her and tilted his head a little. "Did that ease your mind a little or is there something else bothering you?"

Kyra shook her head. "Well, I kind of figured this would already be dangerous and risky the second you told me of the details. I'm wary of something else, but like I said, I don't know what. I feel like there's something that's going to go horribly wrong, something that we weren't prepared for in the slightest."

Yamato took in her words. Seeing her shaken up was something she didn't seem to do often, as he noted based on their limited time together. It was like she was never really afraid to speak her mind, but here she was now, timid and scared.

"Don't worry too much," he decided to speak. "If something does go wrong, we're all a bunch of capable shinobi. Look, if you truly feel too shaken, you know I'd prefer you to just stay at camp starting now."

"That's not going to happen." Despite being so shaken, as he had stated, Kyra didn't want to pass on this opportunity. She knew this was probably the only time, and most likely the last time, she'd get any real experience before being cooped up in the village again. She made it this far and she'll keep going.