Chapter 9 - Promise

"Yeah." Sakura cried on Naruto’s arm.

"Would she cry too if I were gone?" thought Naruto.

"Of course not, I’m not the one she loves, but I won’t give up…"

"Naruto, promise me that you’ll bring Sasuke-kun back…!"

"Oh, of course I’ll bring him back! You can count on me-ttebayo!" Sakura smiled. If anyone can bring Sasuke back, it’s Naruto.

"I believe in you," said Sakura and hugged Naruto.

"What a nice feeling," thought Naruto. But there’s one problem.

He has to leave the village for a while to train with Jiraiya. It’s now or never. Unfortunately Sasuke has to wait. Even Naruto knows he’s not strong enough to bring Sasuke back and alone.

"But it has to wait…" said quietly Naruto, so Sakura won’t hear him. Suddenly towards them ran Hinata and Shikamaru.

"Naruto, it’s a drag but you have to go back. Hokage calls you," said Shikamaru while Hinata was a little sad. She saw Sakura hugging Naruto which hurt her, but she’s glad Naruto’s happy… yet.

"So Hinata, did you stop these guys?" asked Naruto.

"Yes, Asuma-sensei helped us, so it was easier for us."

"Good, you helped us a lot-ttebayo!" Hinata blushed.

"Sakura-chan, will you be okay? I have to go now." Sakura nodded.

"I-I’ll go with Hinata and Shikamaru, don’t worry." Naruto let her go and ran to see what Hokage wants. He ran so fast he gasped for breath.

"If I could control it, it would be easier to get there," thought Naruto. Suddenly someone stopped him.

"Naruto, why the rush?" asked Kakashi.

"Oh, Kakashi-sensei, I’m looking for Hokage!"

"He’s in… hospital," said Kakashi, reading his favourite book.

"How did it happen?"

"He suffered several injuries after the fight with Orochimaru, nothing serious, but he’s old too."

"Thank you-ttebayo!" said Naruto and changed direction. He was finally in the hospital. He knocked on the door because he had some good maneuvers.

"Come in!" said Third Hokage.

"It’s me-ttebayo!"

"Oh Naruto, good to see you are all right."

"Shikamaru said you had called me. Something happened?"

"Naruto, I suppose you know about your situation. Jiraiya told me about your split personality. I’m sending you on training for three years. You have to learn how to control it and this will help you!" he said more emphatically.

"Three years? That’s long time and I wanted to rescue Sasuke too!"

"Rescue Sasuke?! What happened?!" Hiruzen was breathing hard.

"You have to calm down, Hokage-sama!" said nurse and handed him a glass of water.

"Thank you."

"Orochimaru is the one who kidnapped Sasuke…"

"That foolish Orochimaru! I knew he had something up his sleeve!"

"Naruto-kun, please leave, you put  him in stressful situation." Naruto nodded and left.

"Get better, old man," said Naruto to himself. Even though Hokage didn't care much for Naruto, he still took special place in Naruto’s heart. As his caregiver.

"Three years, that means I‘ll never see anyone in this village till that moment. And I won’t be able to save Sasuke…" Naruto put his hand on his heart. It hurts. The pain is just too much.

"That’s right, we’ll change this place together!"

"I don’t want that!"

"Like you have a choice!" Kurama laughed. Naruto was sad.

"Don’t worry, Naruto, you won’t know about this because you’ll die inside!"

"I don’t want this-ttebayo..." Naruto was sad. Now he has to think about a plan how to explain Sakura that he can’t keep his promise.

...

"Sakura-chan, I have to tell you something."

"What is it, Naruto?"

"I… I’m leaving."

"Leaving?! What do you mean?!"

"I’m going to train with Pervy Sage, for you Jiraiya. Three years I’ll be gone so I have to postpone the rescue of Sasuke. I’m sorry." Naruto couldn’t tell her that it’s the last time she’s seeing him like this.

"I see. You know I was searching. Searching informations about Orochimaru. He mastered the technique of reincarnation and Sasuke is just another victim. He just wants him for his body!"

"Calm down you two!" said a voice behind them.

"That voice... Pervy Sage?!"

"I said don’t call me that in public!"

"That’s what you are and I’m just telling the truth!" Naruto stood by his word.

"Cut it out you two!" yelled Sakura.