39. taffy

You were barely breathing by the time you slammed through the diner's forbidden door, face pale and aching from dried tears, clothes filthy with remnants of debris. It was all too nostalgic, expect this time you felt like you had left your heart behind in that wretched place.

"Y/N," Hoseok's limbs blindly dragged you in for a soft embrace. "It's okay, just... just breathe with me."

"H-He— they— Hobi—" The lack of words meshed together at the tip of your tongue made your mind spin with frustration above all the other emotions.

Hoseok held you, eyes cast on the diner ceiling above with blurry vision.

He was possibly losing his brother, and although not a long time knowing, a piece of his heart in the form of a man.

He fearfully jumped as his phone began to ring, regaining signal after retreating from the blocks underground.

Still holding you, he reached back and grabbed ahold of it, answering and holding the device to his ear.

"Tae?" Hoseok gaped at the wall behind as you shifted nervously at the name. "Woah, woah, slow down."

He listened intently, heart dropping when he heard of Jimin's condition, but relieved by their management to escape.

"He's stable now?" Hoseok asked and you pulled away in confusion, questioning with your eyes. "Jimin got shot." He explained and watched the numbness overcome your features. "No... they aren't with us, Tae, I can't explain at the moment, but what's the evacuation plan?"

"Sending people out on trains so traffic doesn't clog up the streets. Where are you both now?" He noticed the fearful tone of the younger silver haired's voice.

"Diner." Hoseok continued talking to him for a bit, leading you out of the secluded hallway. The moon had set in the horizon, the sun greeting the sky with a vibrant array of colors. The wash of light fell into the glass windows of the diner and Hoseok felt the emptiness strike as reality.

This town was dying. His home was dying. Everyone's home.

It wasn't long before a car came screeching to a stop before the diner entrance, Jisoo stumbling out with keys in her hands. She hastily unlocked the door and you both met her at it.

"Oh my god, let's go," she said with tired, heart broken insides.

You both fell into the backseats of the car with great exhaustion, collapsing into each other just like the tunnels might on your loved ones.

You woke up with your head on someone's leg. Peeling your emotionless eyes open, you saw the silver strands above, reaching a weak hand to touch them through the daze.

"Hey, Tata," Taehyung smiled down at you, "how do you feel?"

"Empty." You whispered and his large soothing hand shifted to press down your hair. You curled into him and felt the tears rise again. "T-Tae..."

He shushed you and helped you sit, pulling you into a secure hug with his chin platformed on the crown of your head.

You finally took in your surroundings, the beige benches scattered out below the awning of the train station. People were assigned to lines as the faint horn of a train came screaming in the horizon, the constant chug filling your ears.

Evacuation.

You lifted your eyes to gaze around, spotting Jimin unconscious in a wheelchair nearby, chest wrapped in bandages, clothes bloodied and tainted. Namjoon and Jin were in each other's arms on the other half of the bench besides you and Taehyung, Namjoon's eyes slowly reading the blue files with his secrets inside.