Fool-ish In Love P.2

1992

Johan had waited in his car while Christine went to the roller rink for her interview. He opened the door and got out as she left the building, ready to support her through good or bad news. She looked so beautiful in the late spring sun and he wanted to hold her, kiss her, do something. When she saw he was still outside waiting for her, she ran and jumped into his arms. "I got the job! Meet the newest DJ at Skatecity!" He spun her around in his arms whooping and hollering in celebration. Santy had tagged along in the back at the request of his parents, and sniggered through the open window. "Now that you work at the rink, do I get in for free?" Johan released Christine somewhat reluctantly, and glared at Santy. "Tell you what. If you can manage to get up before 7, I'll let you skate while I open, and if you're parents are fine with it, you can close with me. You still pay your way, but you get some extra hours by yourself." That seemed to satisfy her enough to nod and retreat to the back seat. Johan felt his heart rate pick up as Christine threaded her fingers in his as she led him back to the car. "Come on Johan. Let's get home. I need your help and more importantly Santy's help with picking my outfit for tomorrow. I want to dress to impress." Christine gave the youngest sibling a high five, and Johan a squeeze on the leg. "Ouch Chris, you don't think I can help out with clothes? And what does it matter? You look good in anything, and you'll be in the booth the entire time." He felt a little green monster climb up his neck at the idea of her dressing for someone. Scratch that. He wasn't on board with her dressing for someone else. He had taken her to freshman and sophomore homecoming, and she looked like a dream. In fact, the short poofy skirt on her baby pink dress that October lived rent free in his mind late at night for months. "Johan! Car!" During his daydream of her legs on full display at the dance, he had gotten a little closer than comfortable to the line of incoming traffic. His eyes widened and he swerved back into his lane. Santy giggled in the back, teasing out: "I'm totally telling Mom." Chris craned to face her and gave her a warning look. "Be nice. Or I won't let you come to work with me." The young girl rolled her eyes and muttered out "Fine." Satisfied, Chris popped in her mixtape and turned up the volume. Johan let himself relax and make it home safe and sound. He parked in his driveway and promised to see Chris in a few minutes. He walked into his home and said hello to his dad. "Chris got the job. I'm going to change my clothes and head back over to hers. She wants Santy and I to give input on her outfit for tomorrow." Paul gave him a look, and smiled. "Alright Johan. Be safe. And tell her how you feel." Johan sputtered and stuttered, cheeks red from choking and embarrassment. "Dad!" Paul lifted his hands in surrender and left Johan to change his clothes.

"Hey Johan, you want to go to the pool? I've got the day off and miss the water. Pleaseeeee?" Christine stood by her phone in a blue gingham bathing suit. It was her favorite, with it's little skirt and ruffled top. She could hear his hesitation over the line and laid it on a little thick. "Please? I haven't seen you in forever! With both of us working, I miss you." Laying it on thick may have been a bit of an overstatement, she truly did miss him, and maybe if he saw her in the bathing suit, she'd know if he felt some type of way. Christine had felt some type of way since they met, she thought he was really cute when he went through her tapes the first time. She listened to too many break up songs, watched too many romantic movies to even debate telling him how she felt. She felt that it was better to be in pain and watch him fall in love with someone else than to risk their relationship. At least this way she got to keep him in her life. Johan caved and told her he would be there in ten to come take her to the pool. Sure, Christine had just gotten her own car after working day and night, but secretly, both loved riding together. It came with the chance of a kiss goodnight. Christine raced up the stairs, applying a subtle lipstick, putting on her red heart shaped glasses, and making sure her toenails were painted. As she primped and preened, her mother entered and commented. "Is Johan taking you somewhere?" Her cheeks tinted pink as she gave her mother a look. "Johan is my best friend. And yes, he's giving me a ride to the pool. We've both got the day off and wanted to do something." As Christine slipped her shoes on, Marissa gave her daughter an unseen look. A small smile graced her lips as she retreated back to her office.

"Nice suit Dorothy!" Johan swam around the pool as Christine laid out in the sun. One of the neighborhood boys splashed at her, the water beading on the hot skin of her feet and legs. Rolling her eyes, she switched positions to face him. "Well, Lets just say that if I wanted to, I could take you to Oz. Or would you rather stay in Kansas Toto?" Both Johan's and the commenter felt their jaws drop a little at the response. The offender backed off, not expecting the reaction, and Christine approached Johan, confidence filling her veins as she sat on the lip of the pool, letting her legs kick in the water and skirt billow with the breeze. She leaned forward towards her friend, a pout on her lips. "What about you, Johan? You wanna go to Oz with me?" Johan struggled to keep his hands under the water and not on her exposed skin, or her waistline, or her long tanned neck. She bit at her bottom lip, pulling her glasses down to look him in the eyes. "Hmm?" He felt himself gravitate to her, his hands rubbing up and down her calves. "I'll kiss Kansas goodbye for you." Christine was happy and a little shocked by Johans boost of confidence, and let him pull her from her perch and into the shallow water. "Do you really want to go to Oz with me, or were you just kidding around?" At the thought of it only being a joke, Christine felt her confidence fade faster than paint on a barn. Johan swirled her around a little, holding on to her. "Of course I meant it. I'd go anywhere with you." She smiled up at him, something she had been doing since his growth spurt between freshman and sophomore year. "I'd go anywhere with you too." Johan swallowed down his nerves one last time and asked: "Would you go to the movies with me this weekend? As a date?" Using his shoulders as leverage, she jumped from the water to press a chaste kiss to the corner of his mouth. "I would love that."