Luke Skywalker Angst

Alright Luke x Reader with... wait for it... Hanaki disease. Love sucks, but fanfiction is here to make it better.

I can't remember how it started, both the disease and when I realized I loved Luke Skywalker. I had grown used to the pain in my chest and the rawness in my throat far too quickly for my own liking. Leia had found out on Hoth. Flowers littered my room, and my choked gags rang out from the fresher. I remember fishing the last petals from the back of my throat as I heard her gasp. I remember the heavy weight of guilt as her eyes softened at the shape I was in. She held my hair back as I spit out leaves and petals, and watched me in silence as I brushed my teeth. "I've heard about this. It's because of unrequited love, but there are options. We can find who you love and get them to love you back, or Luke can use the force to kill the plant in your lungs. But that will cause the memory of the person you love, and the ability to love someone to die as well. Whatever you decide, I'll be here for you." I nod and cry into her shoulder at the realization of my situation.

It wasn't long 'till Chewie and Han found out as well. I was fixing up Luke's x-wing late at night, when I could hack and cough up flower after flower without the fear of being seen. I had come to the conclusion that the closer I got to Luke, or anything that belonged to him, the worse I got, but no one else was open to fix his ship while he gained much needed rest. I bend over the cockpit, tossing away the petals that had slipped in, when I hear a dull roar and a deep voice responding. As Han and Chewie enter the hangar I panic, my rapid breathing bringing harder and more choked coughs, and bigger piles of petals. At the distressed noises coming from my chest, the two hurry over to "save" me. Chewie pulls me down from my perch, and Han takes in my red lips and watery eyes. I glance to the pile of petals the boys had disrupted, and he follows my gaze. Setting me down, his eyes soften and he clears his throat. "Kid, don't tell me that's what I think it is. Don't tell me those are from you." Real tears fall from my eyes as I shakily inhale, nodding. He carts his hand through his hair, and glances at his ship. "Chewie, can you finish Luke's ship for Y/N? I'm gonna get her fixed up." The wookie roars and lifts himself to continue my work as Han carries me to his ship. "I can walk by myself. I've only got flowers in my lungs. You don't have to carry me." Ignoring my protests, he plops me down on a bunk. Crossing his arms, he simply replies, "Who is it? Who's the idiot I get to shoot? Who do you love?" I drop my shoulders and rasp out, "Luke." This startles him, "But, he can't... He's a Jedi, he can't..." I snap my gaze to the smuggler, crying out: "You don't think I know that? Why do you think the flowers are here in the first place. It's because I love him and he can't love me back. And what's worse is if I want to continue living, he's got to be the one who takes away the flowers and his memory." I wipe away my tears and slump against Han, exhausted from the constant coughing and throwing up. He shushes me and lays down beside me, lulling me to sleep.

I run to breakfast, lagging behind due to the plants growing in my lungs. I grab my tray and breakfast and sit with Han and Chewie. Han had taken me under his wing not too long before meeting Luke and Ben Kenobi, acting as a big brother to me when I had no family. My lungs seize up, telling me that Luke was close by. It felt as if the flowers were crawling up my chest and through my throat, desperately trying to reach him. As he cleared his throat and sat down next to me, I swallowed down all the petals I could with the water I had received. After murmuring to Han and Chewie about pilot things, he turns to me. "Y/N, how've you been? I haven't seen you around for a while. Not avoiding me, I hope." He chuckles, teasing me. I do my best to laugh back, but it's a slightly choked noise, one that alerts Han. He glances back and forth between the both of us, ready to jump in at any time. I shake my head, both at Han to step down and as a response to Luke. "No, not avoiding you. Just busy, that's all." We eat in comfortable silence. Jokes being trades, or stories being told, but not out of the need to fill the silence. I was distracted, doing my best to keep the petals from pushing forward, not really listening.

The next morning, I see Luke climb back into his ship. I hold my breath as I pray to the force that I got every last petal. A pink flower is picked up, inspected, and carelessly thrown out the cockpit with a shrug. My heart hits the ground as the petals slam down on the ice floor. His ship takes off and I find it easier to breathe, the flowers not fighting so hard to find their source. As I turn to head back to work, I see Han and Leia huddled together, glancing back to me every few seconds. I tilt my head to the floor and head back to my room to change.

I grab my few things as we all escape the base and the Empire with it. I feel myself slowing down as I run out of air. Han, Chewie, and Leia come up behind me and without missing a beat, Han throws me over his shoulder and into the Falcon. I hack in the back bunk as the ship flies in evasive maneuvers, petals and flowers flying everywhere, but this time, the once white flowers are deeper shades of red, dyed by my blood. We reach an asteroid and we all sigh a breath of relief, until Leia shrieks at something slamming the glass. It isn't long until we take off again, Han mentioning a "Lando Calrissian" and we set off for Cloud City. Leia and I talk on the flight, and I tell her about the petals changing colors. She nods, looking calm and collected, but her eyes show the danger I am in.

We land and leave from the ship, as Han and Lando interact. As I peek out from behind Leia, I meet the strangers eye. "And who is this?" He takes my hand and kisses it, a blush dusting my cheeks. Han steps in front of me like an overprotective older brother. "This is Y/N, and she's in need of your help." He murmurs closer to Lando, "She has Hanahaki, and no one else can heal her. We had someone, but he won't be back in time to save her. She needs medical treatment now." Nodding, he struts forward, leading us somewhere. We reach the Med Bay, and Han and Leia exchange looks. Leia steps forward and asks if she can be with me while the flowers are removed. Lando nods, allowing both Leia and I into the room. I am knocked out, holding Leia's hand, and I fall into blissful sleep. I wake up in a strange cell, Leia pounding on the door. "Leia, what's going on? The last thing I remember was the surgery." As I sit up, Stormtroopers enter and shove us through a second door. "Leia, Y/N?" Leia falls to her knees next to Han, brushing his hair back, and consoling him. He turns his gaze to me. "Y/N, did it work? Do you remember Luke?"As I knit my eyebrows in thought, Lando comes into the room. "Vader has agreed to turn Leia, Chewie and Y/N over to me." Leia interjects, but is shut down. "He doesn't want you at all! He's after somebody called Skywalker." Han simply mumbles "Luke" The name sounds familiar, but I'm not sure. Do I remember? I search my memories, yet find nothing attached to that name. "Who's Luke?" I whisper. Han grabs me and holds me close. "It worked! Oh thank kriff Lando held that end of the deal." With that we are collected and marched down to a strange chamber. We are surrounded by troopers and Lord Vader. "Leia, what is Vader doing here? What is going on?" Hushing me, Leia holds me close. She hands me to Chewie to say her goodbye to Han. As they kiss, I feel a phantom feeling in my lungs. Han is frozen as Leia and I huddle together. There is talk of the "Skywalker" arriving, and that he too will be frozen.

Lando leads us around his city, as Leia and I get a glimpse of a blonde man in tan clothing. She leans into me and whispers, "That is Skywalker, Luke Skywalker." Blaster fire is heard throughout the corridor, and we are all dragged away. Leia screams through the doorway, "Luke! Luke, don't it's a trap! It's a trap!" We are dragged off again, kicking and screaming. As we draw even closer to the imperial ship, Lando overpowers the troopers with some help from his staff. He makes an announcement to his people, and we hurry to the Falcon, fighting troopers all the way. We finally make it to the ship and take off for open space.

Leia takes over the ship and says that we have to go back for "Luke Skywalker". As we near the bottom of the city, we see a moving figure hanging off the structure. We have him drop in the ship, as I steer clear of the stranger. When we arrive at the hangar and Med Bay, Luke finally sees me. "Oh, Y/N, you're here! You're ok!" He grabs me and clutches at my clothes. Looking over my shoulder, I mouth to Leia for help. She gently pulls Luke away from me and explains what happened, including how he was apparently the one who caused the flowers to grow in my lungs. A single tear escapes his eye as he turns to me. He spares me one last glance and heads to his room. I feel an emptiness settle in my chest as he walks out, but Leia just holds me and says it'll all be ok.