Fool-ish In Love Prologue- Johan Johnson

Because Hamilton is back, my five year old love for Daveed Diggs has resurfaced with a vengeance. Here's a Johan Johnson story in the works, and I have a hot 15 WIP's shelved in my google drive for later, not to mention my requests. As always, my writings are based on personal feelings, experiences, and thoughts. Anyways, enough of my midnight ramblings. Here we go.

1988

"Johan! Put your shoes on! We're meeting the new neighbors!" A young boy with large glasses and even larger hair heaved down the stairs. "Really mom? Why can't I just stay home? I just got a new tape I want to listen to." Mrs. Johnson checks her reflection one last time in the mirror before turning to face her son. "Johan, maybe you can make a friend. I saw a kid unpacking earlier. Remember how you felt when we moved here, try to give them what you needed at the time." He shrugs and brings his Walkman with him, his personal favorite mixtape in the slot.

"Ugh, mom. Really? I not only had to leave everything behind, but now I have to meet the neighbors? How long will they be here for?" A young girl had her hair up in a bun from dance class earlier, and stood in front of her mother. A soothing hand came up to brush her baby hairs from her face. "They're staying for dinner, but they have a little boy your age. And you'll be going to the same school." As their little interaction came to an end, there was a knock at the door and all five of the Johnson's came into the house. Despite herself, the young girl hid behind her mother a bit. Scanning the faces before her, she thought they all seemed nice and neighborly enough. When her gaze fell onto the only boy of the family, she felt her cheeks heat. His hair was wild, and his glasses large on his face, and she was excited to get to know him. Both mothers gave knowing looks to each other and nudged their child towards each other. "Dear, why don't you tell Johan about your dance classes? Ms. Johnson said he enjoyed dance." The beautiful dark skinned woman gave her son another nudge "See? I told you you'd have something in common." She then turned to her new neighbor. "Please, call me Alicia. This is my husband Paul, my oldest daughter Rainbow, my youngest, Santy, and my son Johan." The girls mother shook hands and then introduced herself and her daughter. "I'm Marissa, and this is my daughter Christine." Christine was then given the opportunity to talk to Johan. "So you dance? What style do you do? Or I guess what do you enjoy?" Johan shrugged, his hands in his pockets. "I break dance, I guess. I'm getting good though. What about you?" She nodded. "I do ballet and jazz, but I love contemporary. It's like the fluidity of jazz, but with the storytelling that goes with ballet. What about music? Who do you like?" Johan thought for a while, and decided on an artist. "I like Run-DMC, but I like Beastie Boys too. What about you?" Christine smiled and tugged Johan up the stairs. "Mom, I'm showing Johan my records!" When she brought him into her room, he took in all the posters. The walls were littered in posters of so many different genres, it was almost sensory overload. He saw David Bowie, Michael Jackson, Prince, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, and surprisingly, quite a few LL Cool J posters. "You like hip hop?" Christine raised her head from flipping through cassette tape after tape. "Oh yeah. It's so much fun to practice turns to. Perfect tempo. I had a diverse group of friends back home. We'd do music switch Monday. We'd each make a mixtape of what we liked at the beginning of the month every month, then we'd pass tapes in a circle every Monday. I'd get old school disco hits one week, Latin Cumbia the next, hip hop and r&b the other, and a lot of rap. So I've got a very eclectic taste. You can borrow a couple of my mixes if you want. Maybe we can do music switch Mondays too." He smiled at his new friend and pulled out his Walkman. "I've got one on me right now. It's my favorites, and you could give me your favorites." Christine nodded her head and rifled through a drawer next to her bed, triumphantly pulling one after a few selections. "This is all my favorites from my friends, plus mine too. Let me know what you like, what you don't. Happy Monday!" They both were called down to dinner and they talked about music the entire time.

It was the first day back after summer vacation and Christine was nervous to say the least. What if she didn't fit in? What if Johan didn't want to be her friend at school? No that couldn't be right, Johan and her spent every waking minute together the past month. But still Christine was plagued with the unknown of what if? As she stood outside the office, she clutched the strap on her bag as if it would be snatched away at the slightest relax and took a deep breath. As she exhaled, she pushed the door open and walked up to the receptionist. "Hi, my name is Christine Lane. I'm new here. Is there a schedule for me to pick up or?" She trailed off, nervously pinching at her fingers as a habit. If only she had her music with her; if she did, she'd be relaxed and chill. The woman behind the desk printed off a piece of paper and slid it over to the new student. "Let me check the system to see who has the same schedule as you." Keys clicked loudly in the quiet room, and victorious, the woman wrote down a name on a scrap of paper, and spoke into the intercom. "Johan Johnson, please report to the front office." Christine felt herself relax and let her anxieties dissipate at the name. The boy walked in shy and anxious. He didn't know why he had been called. Maybe they caught him for sneaking in his Walkman this morning, but Christine had given him a new mix and he was really excited to listen to it. When he looked up from his sneakers through his bangs, sorry, tendrils, he saw his friend, and she was smiling. Maybe they hadn't caught him after all. "Mr. Johnson, this is Christine. She's new to this school, and you both have the same schedule. Would you please show her around? Let her follow you around?" He nodded, his curls bouncing with the movement. They both walked out together and went to his homeroom class.