Under The Lights- Daveed Diggs x reader

Before I even paste this into Wattpad, I want you all to know that this took me two days of constant writing, and FOUR pages on google docs. I know that the second I hit paste, it's going to be like one page. Anyways, here's Daveed x reader.

2010

"Hey, Y/N, I brought you muffins!" A woman with a mouth full of pins, her hair up in a messy bun, measuring tape sloppily tied around her neck, and a pincushion on her wrist, exited a space separated from the rest of the apartment by a thin curtain. Seeing her best friend and roommate enter with goodies, a bright grin fluttered onto her face. "Wanna see what I did while you were gone?" He nodded and followed her to her half of the work room. On a mannequin, a beautiful dress was fleshed out much more than it had been when Lin had left this morning. It had been nothing more than a sketch on paper for the Newsies show. As a major in history with a minor in design, Y/N was accepted by Disney to create the costumes. It didn't hurt that The Lin Manuel Miranda of In the Heights fame was on her list of references. She had decided to start with Medda's dress first. Medda was a personal favorite of hers and was excited to do her own spin on it. A deep purple sash had been half pinned under the bodice and sadly hung from its haphazard placement. "The sash would look better if you hadn't distracted me with food dork." He smiled and pressed the folded paper bag into her hand. "Alright. I'm going to finish this for Alan. It's a miracle I have this job. I'm not screwing it up. I also meant to tell you that one of my guys are going to be here tomorrow for a measure and design session. Sweet kid. Amazing dancer." Lin grinned teasingly as he set his laptop down on his desk. "Am I getting replaced? Is he going to be your new roommate and best friend?" Y/N stuck out her tongue at her best friend and continued her work. The sounds of humming and a machine whirring mixed in with the excited clacking of keys to make a strangely beautiful symphony.

2013

"Y/N! I need your help!" In the tiny apartment in the upper east side, an over-caffeinated Wesleyan Alumni burst through the front door, a paper bag of bagels clutched tightly. At the yells, another Alumni ran from her section of the apartment. "Lin! What's wrong? Are you hurt?" He thrusts the bag into her searching hands, and lets out another shriek. "Y/N! I'm fine! They want to put The Hamilton Mixtape through a workshop! And if we get this right, they'll move us to a real show!" Shoving his shoulders, she muffled her screams behind pinched lips. "Lin, you can not go scaring me like that! I'm going to get gray hairs before we even get to the off Broadway! What do you need my help with?" He pulled her onto the ratty couch they had in the little space. "I need a costumer. You're the best in the business. Not to mention I'll be with you all the time, so there's no chance of miscommunications!" Standing from her forced seat, she cradled Lin's head in her hands. She saw the excitement glimmer in his eyes and softened. "Lin, of course I'll help you, I am a history major after all. Who else could make it historically accurate while still being functional? Thank you for even considering me, and for the bagels." She pressed a kiss to the crown of his head. Giving a crooked smile, she pointed a finger in his face. "If you ever scare me like that, I swear I will never cook or bake for you again." He smiled sheepishly and shrugged in apology. "Sorry, but hey, you're my costumer now!" She smiled and bumped her hip with his. She dug through her pads of paper and snatched her laptop off the charger. "Alright. Give me your tracks and I'll get started."

July 27th, 2013

"Alright, I'm here. Sorry I'm late, I got halfway down the block before I figured out I left my notes on the desk. Who do we have here?" Three men held my attention, understandable since they were the main cast. I recognized Brian D'arcy James from other productions, there was another man with big hair and bright eyes, and finally my eyes fell on Christopher. I smiled at him and gave him a quick hug. "Oh my God! What are you doing here? I haven't seen you in so long! How've you been." He chuckled and pulled me in again. "I'm good. I was missing our Vanessa for a while, but you're working with us now so I won't have to miss you anymore! Lin told me about the project and I couldn't turn it down." He turned me to the stranger at the clearing of a throat. "Oh, this is Daveed. He's playing Thomas Jefferson and Lafayette. He raps." I looked at him up and down, remembering the songs Lin had written for him. I cocked my head, and he looked at me with nervous eyes. "This will work. This is going to work great actually." I saw his shoulders relax and sag with relief as I walked back to the table set up for the behind the scenes people. I gripped my pen in my hand, ready to jot down every little thought that passed through my mind for the time of the workshop.