Ben Solo Modern AU

"Hey, I was wondering if you might be able to do a Ben Solo x reader fic but like a high school modern au thingy?"

So your girl has got a horrible crush on a real guy in high school. I may or may not project all of those feelings into this. Buckle up for this emotional roller coaster. Also, this is Ben Solo who never associates with the dark side. It wasn't specified, so I went this route.

I dance around my room to the music blasting in my headphones. Is it incredibly late at night and is the rest of my family asleep right now? Yes, but I really don't care, it's not like it's a school night. I dance around and around. Spinning a bit too quickly, I fall flat on my butt. I hear stomping up to my room and my door is ripped open by my mother. "Y/N! Go to sleep! Or at least calm down enough for the rest of us to sleep!" With that, she closes my door and stomps back to her room.

Putting away my phone and headphones, I shut my turn off the lights and head to bed. On the way, I go to shut my blinds. I gaze out across my yard and the road at Ben Solo's house, and coincidentally his window. Sighing, I shut the blinds and curtains and snuggle into my blankets, pretending that I was being held by my tall, dark, and beautiful neighbor.

The next morning, I throw my hair up and grab the mail. (Where I live, we don't have a box in front of our houses, instead we have a giant mailbox that has a compartment for each house with a key to get into it.) I jog down the street a bit to get to the box, passing by the Solo residence. Sorting through the assortment of bills and college advertisements, I don't see the object blocking my path until I've crashed down onto the ground, staring up at the very person I lose all normalcy around. His head blocks the sun, creating a halo effect around the raven locks that brush his jaw. He crouches down to where I sit staring. He starts picking up my mail from under his car and from his driveway. I help him pick up my mail, our hands touching ever so often, igniting my cheeks. He brushes off his pants and stands, one hand holding half my mail, the other carding through his hair. I open and close my mouth like a brain dead goldfish until he averts his eyes and offers me a hand up. I gently grab his offered hand, suddenly shy and not sure how to act. Ben slightly extends the stack of letters towards me. I clear my throat and accept them. "Thank you Ben. Sorry about crashing into you. I mean, not that you probably felt it, since you're so tall and probably strong. Not that I was observing you or anything. Oh Lord, where am I going with this? Uh, thank you. For the mail. And helping me up. Sorry to crash into you." I quickly turn to walk up my own driveway grumbling to myself. "Oh my god Y/N, you couldn't be any more awkward could you? 'Not that I was observing you or anything'? God, he probably thinks you're a spaz!"

I sort through the mail, Christmas cards to one stack, college adverts in another, and all the bills in a giant pile for mom to go through. I walk in to the kitchen to find my mom icing cookies. "Oh, Y/N, Honey, the Solo's are coming over for Christmas for dessert and games. But you and Ben are the same age so you two can hang out." Nodding, I trudge up to my room. Great, the guy I'm practically in love with is coming over for Christmas tomorrow with his family. Judging by the interaction we had today, my entire family and his will catch on to the not-so secret crush I've had since I had moved across the street from him.

Christmas speeds by. Soon, our doorbell goes off signaling the arrival of the Solos. I giggle and relax, and soon we're talking. We end up in my basement watching my little brother play the video games he got for Christmas. We talk the entire time, and soon college comes up. "So, Arizona, huh. That's pretty far. We'll miss you, that's for sure. I mean Lucas and the guys will at least. Sorry, I don't know why I said 'We'." I fiddle with my hands, cursing my lack of social skills. My mom calls out that the desserts are ready. As we leave the basement, we accidentally trigger the motion activated mistletoe. We both jump a little and look up. Burying my face in my hand I groan. "Oh my god, I am so sorry, I didn't know that was on. We don't have to do anything." I go to leave the alcove, but Ben grabs my wrist to stop me. "Y/N, don't you know it's bad luck to leave mistletoe without kissing? Wouldn't want to start off your year with bad luck, would you?" I slowly shake my head no, trying not to get too hopeful about where this was going. "If you're ok with it, I'd like to follow the tradition." I nod my head slightly, too awe-struck at the promise of a kiss from my extremely attractive neighbor. He gently cradles my chin and jaw in his large hands. He leans down a bit, and captures my lips with his in a sweet, slow kiss. As we break apart, he smiles down at me and says "Now, that's a way to finish and start a year."