87)

"O you who have believed, indeed, among your wives and your children are enemies to you, so beware of them. But if you pardon and overlook and forgive - then indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful."

[Surah Taghabun 64:14]

This verse is interlinked with the verse of the previous chapter of this book;

"O you who believe! Let not your properties or you children divert you from the remembrance of Allah. And whosoever does that then they are the losers."

[Surah Munafiqun 63:9]

Allah states that some wives and children are enemies to their husbands and fathers, in that they might be busied with them rather than with performing the good deeds.

In Qur'an, the male gender is used to make things general and it can sometimes be equivalent to the term 'people'. This verse refers to two situations, one in which a woman causes hindrance in a man's religion and the other where a man causes hindrance  in a woman's religion. The main command is to alert the believers to be aware of those disbelievers in their houses who want to lead the believers astray and hence are the enemies of the believers. The command to be cautionary of them means to not let them distance you from Allah and distract you from your religious life.

The enemies that live in one's home and are from family are the ones referred to in this verse. They might direct a believer to sever his relation or disobey his Lord.

For example the man, who loves his wives and children, might obey them in this case.

When Ibn Abbas was asked about this verse, he said, "There were men who embraced Islam in Makkah and wanted to migrate to Allah's Messenger. However, their wives and children refused to allow them. Later when they joined Allah's Messenger, they found that those who were with him (the Companions) have gained knowledge in the religion, so they were about to punish their wives and children. Allah the Exalted sent down this Ayah,

"But if you pardon (them) and overlook, and forgive, then verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

[Surah Taghabun 64:14]

Islam allows revenge (in the same amount as the afflicted pain/loss) but forgiveness, patience and overlooking is always advised, recommended and suggested by Allah. The option of forgiving those who cause harm to you enables you to be forgiven by Allah also, as Allah loves those who forgive others. Allah loves this quality of believers because being Merciful is Allah's own noble quality as well.

Buraydah (R.A) said, "The Messenger of Allah was giving a speech and Al-Hasan and Husayn came in wearing red shirts, walking and tripping. The Messenger descended from the Minbar (pulpit), held them and placed them in front of him and said,

"Allah and His Messenger said the truth, 'Verily, your wealth and your children are a Fitnah.' I saw these two boys walking and tripping and could not be patient until I stopped my speech and picked them up."

Allah further says in the next verses;

"Your wealth and your children are only a Fitnah, whereas Allah! With Him is a great reward. So have Taqwa of Allah as much as you can; listen and obey, and spend in charity; that is better for yourselves. And whosoever is saved from his own greed, then they are the successful ones. If you lend to Allah a handsome loan, He will double it for you, and will forgive you. And Allah is Shakur, Halim. All-Knower of the unseen and seen, the Almighty, the All-Wise."