23)

"O you who have believed, take your precaution and [either] go forth in companies or go forth all together."

[An-Nisa 4:71]

This verse is about defensive as well as initiative war against enemies of Islam that the Quran recommends Muslims to be prepared for that time when they are attacked. And when dangers arise, it is commanded to go forth and take initiative.

This discourse was revealed after the Battle of Uhud, when the tribes living around Madina had been greatly encouraged by the defeat of the Muslims. Thus dangers seemed to surround the Muslims on all sides. Day in and day out news poured in about the hostile intentions of one tribe after another. Reports came in of attacks mounted now in one area, and then in another. The Muslims were again and again the victims of treachery. Their preachers were invited to preach and then put to the sword. Beyond Madina, neither their lives nor their property was secure. Consequently the Muslims had to prepare themselves for a fierce struggle, for a tremendous, all-out effort to ensure that the Islamic mov would not be crushed.

This verse is about minor Jihad which has two kinds and will be divided into two: initiative and defense.

In this verse, Islam teaches that Muslims should be strong in order to defend themselves, but that does not mean they have to become aggressive and unjust. In Surah Anfal, Allah has provided this general guidance very clearly when He addresses Muslims in the following way:

"Prepare against them (i.e., the enemy) with whatever force and trained horses you can in order to frighten thereby Allah's enemy, your enemy, and others besides them who you do not know but Allah knows them."

(Surah al-Anfal, 8:60)

After giving this general guidance of being strong and prepared to defend ourselves, the verse goes on:

"But if they (the enemies) incline to peace, then you (also) incline to it, and put your trust in Allah..."

(Surah al-Anfal, 8:61)

In short, Islam wants Muslims to be strong so that others would not bully them; but then they have to extend the hand of peace even towards their enemies if there is an inclination of peace on the enemy's part.

Also this point should be noted that in Islamic terminology, word of 'Jihad' is divided to two kinds; the major and minor jihad.

The major jihad is known as the spiritual struggle, a struggle between two powers within ourselves: the soul and the body. The conscience is in conflict with the bodily desires. This spiritual conflict is an ongoing jihad within each one of us. Islam expects its followers to give preference to the soul and the conscience over the body and its desires. The fasting in the month of Ramadhan is an example of the annual training for this major jihad.

The minor jihad is the armed struggle. However, that does not automatically mean unjustified use of violence. The minor jihad may be divided into two: initiative and defense. Aggression against any people is not permitted in Islam; however, defense is an absolute right of every individual and nation.

Things we learnt:

> Defense against forces; be it one's evil self desires or an enemy in a battlefield is the first measure to be taken. We must always be on our guard against encounters.

> During battles, as the situations demand, we must proceed in pairs or all together. No one should lag behind as the one who turns his back in a battlefield faces the wrath of Allah.

> Jihad is a constant struggle a Muslim faces. Jihad is not the name of voilance. Rather it is the name of the shield that protects Islam.

> The Ummah of Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) is like a body. All parts are held tightly together so if one part of body must face pain, the other parts feel it and it is our duty as a nation to do all we can for our fellow ummati, especially in today's harsh times when Muslims all over the globe are oppressed and mercilessly, heartlessly murdered and tortured.

Let's all put our hands up and pray for the Muslims of Ughyur, Palestine, Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Kashmir, India and other parts of Earth. May Allah help and deliver them all from the miseries.

Ameen.

May Allah guide us to the right path.
Ameen.
Wama alayna illal balaghul mubeen.