64)

"Indeed, Allah confers blessing upon the Prophet, and His angels [ask Him to do so]. O you who have believed, ask [ Allah to confer] blessing upon him and ask [ Allah to grant him] peace."

[Al-Ahzab 33:56]

Fadalah bin 'Ubayd, may Allah be pleased with him, said: "The Messenger of Allah heard a man making supplication in his prayer when he had not praised Allah or said Salah upon the Prophet . The Messenger of Allah said:

"This man is rushing." Then he called him over and said, to him or to someone else:

"When any one of you supplicates, let him start by praising and glorifying Allah, may He be exalted, then let him send Salah upon the Prophet, and after that let him make supplication as he wishes."

This hadith clarifies that sending Allah's blessings on the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) is the essence of making du'a.

Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) further said: "Whoever sends blessings upon me, Allah will send blessings upon him tenfold."

Sahih Muslims 384

Hazrat Umar (R.A) said: "Du'aa is suspended between heaven and earth and none of it is taken up until you send blessings on your Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam).

Regarding it's importance, the verse already clarifies the significance of sending blessings as Allah says that He sends blessings on the Holy Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) i.e it's Allah's sunnat to do so along with the angels.

The command given for the believers in this verse is to send blessings on the Holy Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) as well.

Believers are commanded to remember Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) in every prayer they make and at any given time because Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) remembered us; his ummah in every prayer he made and at any given time. So as to repay a small part of what we owe him, we should send numerous blessings on Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) and should remember his sacrifices and tears shed for our sake. The Prophet (salAllhu alayhi wasalam) remained so concerned about his ummah that even with the angel of death on his doorstep, and Jibrael (A.S) narrating the rewards that were waiting for Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) in heaven, he did not become satisfied as even more than all the rewards of Jannah, he wanted his people to be on the right path. Hence, in his last moments, he requested Jibrael (A.S) to ask Allah of what would happen to his people after his death. Jibrael (A.S) came back with the reply that Allah has said that He will be with Prophet Muhammad's (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) people after him. This satisfied him and hence, in his last breaths, Hazrat Ali (R.A) heard him call, "Ummati, ummati, ummati (My people, my people, my people)."

This call resembles the one that will be heard among the lamenting and crying souls asking for forgiveness on the Day of Judgement. While everyone, with eyes and head lowered in shame and guilt, including all the prophets, would be crying, "Ya Rabbi nafsi (O Lord, [forgive] me)", there will be a single cry that will be heard by all and that is: "Ya Rabbi ummati, ummati, ummati (O Lord, my people, my people, my people)."

Hence, to send blessings on Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) is the command for the believers.

Allahumma salli ala Muhammad-in wa'ala aali Muhammad-in  kama salayyta 'ala Ibrahim-a wa'ala aali Ibrahim-a innaka hameed-um-majeed.

O Allah, send blessings on Muhammad and the family of Muhammad as You have blessed Ibrahim and the family of Ibrahim. Truly You are Praiseworthy and Glorious.

Allahumma barik ala Muhammad-in wa'ala aali Muhammad-in kama barakta 'ala Ibrahim-a wa'ala aali Ibrahim-a innaka hameed-um-majeed.

O Allah, bless Muhammad and the family of Muhammad as You have blessed Ibrahim and the family of Ibrahim. Truly You are Praiseworthy and Glorious.

Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) said:

"On the Day of Judgement, the person closest to me will be thw one who has sent the most durood into me."

Tirmidhi.

"On Friday, send durood abundantly to me as it is presented before me."

Abu Dawud.

Things we learnt:

> However far from the Prophet of Allah (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) we are in today's world, we can always remember him by sending durood on him and can also be remembered by him this way.

> To send blessings on Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) is a sunnah of Allah and His angels, hence as His people and as the ummah of Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam), we should send abundant prayers and blessings upon him.

May Allah guide us to the right path.
Ameen.
Wama alayna illal balaghul mubeen.