78)

"O you who have believed, fear Allah. And let every soul look to what it has put forth for tomorrow – and fear Allah. Indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what you do."

[Al-Hashr 59:18]

It is a rule of the Quran that whenever the hypocritical Muslims are taken to task for their hypocrisy, they are given admonition also so that whoever of them has some life left in his conscience, may feel remorse for his conduct and attitude and may make an effort, out of the fear of Allah, to come out of the pit into which his worship of the self has thrown him. The verses 18-24 of Surah Al-Hashr consists of such admonition. These 6 verses are the last verses of surah Al-Hashr and hold a special importance.

Anas Ibn Malik (R.A) narrated that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وعلى آله وسلم) advised a man that when he goes to bed, to recite Surah al-Hashr. And he (صلى الله عليه وعلى آله وسلم) said: “If you die, you will a martyr.” Or he said: “you will be from the people of paradise."

(Ibn Sunni 712)

Allah shakes the hypocrites disguised among the true believers by reminding them twice within the same verse, to fear Allah in what they do. Even after they turn their backs and sin from day to night, Allah reminds them that there is still a way out of the shackle of sins; it is to fear Allah. To fear Allah and to look at what they are doing with their lives. This applies universally to all humans as humans are sinners. But those who don't repent become the wrongdoers and Allah reminds such people that they are held responsible for their deeds in the After Life. Hence Allah wants them to fear Him. Because only by fearing Allah can one drop all of his sins.

Allah says in Surah Mu'minun:

"He will ask them, “How many years did you remain on earth?"

They will reply, “We remained ˹only˺ a day or part of a day. But ask those who kept count.”

He will say, “You only remained for a little while, if only you knew.

Did you then think that We had created you without purpose, and that you would never be returned to Us?""

[Al-Mu'minun 23:112-115]

Allah says to the people on the Day of Resurrection when their own sins are the cause of their eternal punishment, "If only you knew."

In Qur'an, Allah makes the believers realise again and again that they have to prepare for their tomorrow as each one is responsible for his own life, the choices he made, the sins he committed and whether or not he repented to Allah and feared Allah.

For tomorrow means for the Hereafter. That is, this whole worldly life is “today”, whose “tomorrow” is the Day of Resurrection, which is going to follow it. Adopting this style Allah has, in a wise manner, made man understand the truth that just as that person is highly foolish, who gambles away his all for the enjoyment of today and does not realize whether tomorrow he would be left with anything to eat and a place of shelter or not, so is also that person only working for his own doom, who is too absorbed in making his world to pay heed to the Hereafter, whereas the Hereafter is to follow this world just as today is to be followed by tomorrow, and there he would find nothing if he has sent nothing ahead for the morrow. Besides, the other wise point here is that every person has been appointed his own censor. Unless a person develops in himself the sense of what is good for him and what is evil, he cannot appreciate whether what he is doing will make his future in the Hereafter or mar it. And when this sense becomes active in himself, he will have to calculate and see for himself whether the way in which he is spending his time, his wealth, his energies and capabilities leads to Heaven or Hell. To do so is in his own interest; for if he does not do so he will ruin his own future itself.

Allah tells the believers again that with their deeds and thoughts, Allah is well acquainted. No one can hide from Him and nor will anyone's deeds go unrecorded. Hence Allah commands for everyone to be aware of what they put forth for tomorrow.

The next few verses of Surah Al-Hashr  also focus on admonition/warning and invitation for hypocrites.

"And be not like those who forgot Allah and so He made them oblivious of themselves. They are the wicked ones."

[Al-Hashr 59:19]

That is, forgetfulness of God inevitably leads to forgetfulness of one’s own self.

"Those destined for the Fire and those destined for Paradise cannot be alike. Verily it is those destined for Paradise who shall triumph.

Had We sent down this Qur'an upon a mountain you would indeed have seen it humbling itself and breaking asunder out of fear of Allah. We propound such parables to people that they may reflect.

He is Allah: there is no god but He; the Knower of the unseen and the manifest, He is the Most Merciful, the Most Compassionate.

He is Allah: there is no god but He: the King, the Holy, the All-Peace, the Giver of security, the Overseer, the Most Mighty, the Overpowering, the All-Great. Exalted be He from whatever they associate with Him.

He is Allah, the Planner, Executer and Fashioner of creation. His are the names most beautiful. Whatever is in the heavens and the earth extols His Glory. He is the Most Mighty, the Most Wise."

[Surah Al-Hashr 59:20-24]

Things we learnt:

> To the wrongdoers among the believers who don't repent for their sins, Allah sent down this verse to remind them to fear Allah. Not once but twice.

> Allah wants the best for the believers and hence calls them again and again in Qur'an, advising them to fear Allah and look at the deeds that their own hands sent forth and which will be the reason for their doom on the Day of Judgement.

> It is then informed to the believers that Allah knows the deeds of humans very well, their thoughts as well as their intentions. This is informed so that a believer fears Allah like He should be feared and gets back on his right track by repenting to Allah.

May Allah guide us to the right path.
Ameen.
Wama alayna illal balaghul mubeen.