5)

"O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous."

[Qur'an 2:183]

In an address to the believers of this Ummah, Allah ordered them to fast, that is, to abstain from food, drink and sexual activity with the intention of doing so sincerely for Allah the Exalted alone. This is because fasting purifies the souls and cleanses them from the evil that might mix with them and their ill behavior. Allah mentioned that He has ordained fasting for Muslims just as He ordained it for those before them, they being an example for them in that, so they should vigorously perform this obligation more obediently than the previous nations. Similarly, Allah said:

"To each among you, We have prescribed a law and a clear way. If Allah had willed, He would have made you one nation, but that (He) may test you in what He has given you; so compete in good deeds.

[Qur'an 5:48]

"The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadan, i.e., is present at his home), he must observe Sawm (fasting) that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasting) must be made up (from other days). Allah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you. (He wants that you) must complete the same number (of days), and that you must magnify Allah for having guided you so that you may be grateful to Him."

[Qur'an 2:185]

All the other Islamic practices and values being described as 'better for ourselves or for our own sake', Allah described that Sawn (fast) is for Allah's sake and that Allah Himself will decide on the reward of the fasting person.

In a hadith e Qudsi Allah (mighty and sublime be He) says: "Fasting is Mine and it is I who give reward for it. [A man] gives up his sexual passion, his food and his drink for my sake. Fasting is like a shield, and he who fasts has two joys: a joy when he breaks his fast and a joy when he meets his Lord. The change in the breath of the mouth of him who fasts is better in Allah's estimation than the smell of musk."

(Al-Bukhari (also by Muslim, Malik, at-Tirmidhi, an-Nasa'i and Ibn Majah))

Fast is one of the five pillars of Islam and that in itself tells the importance of fasting. Ramadan, the most blessed month is the month in which Qur'an was betided upon Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W).

In Ramadan, the rewards of good deeds are multiplied seven hundred folds by quality and quantity.

Allah has used the word 'tattaqun' in the end of the ayah which is derived from the root word of 'taqwa'. Taqwa is the fear of disobeying Allah or the fear of Allah.

The fundamental part of fasting is a person's intention.

As is in hadith;

"Actions are but intentions and every man shall have but that which he intended."

(Sahih Bukhari)

Sincerity of intention can only be achieved by having a strong taqwa. When a person fasts, he controls his hunger, thirst and desires for the sake of Allah and whenever a person thinks of sinning, the fear of Allah clouds over him and thus he acheives control over himself because he knows that the All-Seeing Allah is seeing him.

Thus, by fasting, we purify ourself, our thoughts, intentions, actions and our hearts. Fasting in the month of Ramadan purely for the sake of Allah removes all the previous sins.

In a hadith, Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) said;

"Fasting is a shield or protection from the fire and from committing sins."

Things we learnt:

> Fasting is a fundamental part of our religion. It is for the sake of Allah while all other deeds are for our own sake.

> Fasting increases our love and fear for Allah and we achieve acceptance by Allah as we become righteous.

> Rewards are multiplied in this blessed month so we should make the best of it.

Additional Information:

º When a fasting person breaks his fast (iftar time), all the prayers and everything he asks Allah are fulfilled. 

Rasulullah (S.A.W) mentioned that the du'a of a fasting person at the time of Iftaar is not rejected.

(Al-Targhib)

Ashra is a period of ten days so following are the du'as to be read in the three ashra's of Ramadan.

May Allah guide us to the right path

Ameen.
Wama alayna illal balaghul mubeen.