35)

"O you who have believed, whoever of you should revert from his religion - Allah will bring forth [in place of them] a people He will love and who will love Him [who are] humble toward the believers, powerful against the disbelievers; they strive in the cause of Allah and do not fear the blame of a critic. That is the favor of Allah; He bestows it upon whom He wills. And Allah is all-Encompassing and Knowing."

[Al-Maidah 5: 54]

In this verse, Allah emphasizes His Mighty ability and states that whoever reverts from supporting His religion and establishing His Law, then Allah will replace them with whomever is better, mightier and more righteous in Allah's religion and Law.

One; Allah's law and order is the true order and second; it is beneficial for the mankind to follow it. In either cases, Allah is Self-Sufficient and we are not. Hence it does not effect Allah if a certain person leaves His path and enjoins another path which will undoubtedly lead him to hellfire. Infact, it will not effect Allah even if all mankind was to stand against Him. Similarly, if all mankind stood with Allah, it would not increase or decrease the treasures of Allah except by that which is equal to the decrease in sea water if a needle is removed from it.

Allah's treasuries are filled. Allah is One and Self-Sufficient.

Hence if Shaytaan misleads a person or a group of people and causes them to go astray, Allah, the Self-Sufficient, the Amighty is perfectly capable of replacing them with those people who are truthful, beloved to Allah and who love Allah. Loving Allah also means obeying His commands.

Hence from the start, it was us, the humans who were in need of Allah's guidance. Allah has nothing to gain from us as we are His creation and so, if some revert from the right path, Allah replaces them with the righteous people.

However those who seek repentence then Allah is the Most Forgiving.

In this verse, Allah highlighted the features of true believers and features of people He loves. The features with reference to other verses from Qur'an are;

=> Those people love Allah and Allah loves them.

"Surely, Allah loves those who put their trust in Him."

[Aal-e-Imran 3:159]

"Allah loves those who turn to Him."

[Al-Baqarah 2:222]

=> They are humbled towards the believers.

"A Muslim is one by whose tongue and hand other Muslims are safe."

(Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī 10, Grade: Muttafaqun Alayhi)

=> They are powerful against the disbelievers.

"... If they be twenty of you who persevere they shall vanquish two hundred; and if there be of you a hundred, they shall vanquish a thousand of those who disbelieve, for they are a people who lack understanding."

[Surah Anfal 8:65]

=> They strive in the cause of Allah.

"But as for those who strive hard in Our cause -We shall most certainly guide them onto paths that lead unto Us: for, behold, God is indeed with the doers of good."

[Al-Ankabut 29:69]

=> They don't fear the blame of a critic.

"... And you feared people while Allah has more right that you fear Him..."

[Al-Ahzab 33:37]

At the end, Allah mentions that it is the favour of Allah that He chooses whom He wills and loves whom He wills.

Previously discussed that Allah guides two types of people; those whom He wills and those who strive for Him.

The former is not under our control as Allah does what He wills but the latter one is. We can strive at all times for Allah. That is how one can achieve the love of Allah. And the one who has achieved the love of Allah, what a blessing it is!

Allah's knowledge encompasses everything and everyone. He hence says that He is well-acquainted with what is in the hearts. And Allah knows of what is in the heart even before the carrier of the heart knows it.

Things we learnt:

> Those who revert on wrong paths after being guided, Allah replaces them with righteous people.

> The qualities of righteous people are that they love Allah; Allah loves them, they are humbled towards believers, strong against disbelievers, they strive for Allah and don't fear any blame from a critic i.e only fears Allah.

> Allah chooses to guide whoever He wills and His knowledge encompasses everything. To Him is the ultimate return.

May Allah forgive and guide us.
Ameen.
Wama alayna illal balaghul mubeen.