70)

"O you who have believed, do not raise your voices above the voice of the Prophet or be loud to him in speech like the loudness of some of you to others, lest your deeds become worthless while you perceive not."

[Al-Hujarat 49:2]

The command in this verse of Surah Hujarat is a special attribute of respect towards the Prophet of Allah that is to speak to him in terms of esteem, honor and calmness.

Thabit bin Qays bin Ash-Shammas, whose voice was loud, said, 'I was the one who raised his voice above the voice of Allah's Messenger. I am among the dwellers of the Fire. My good deeds have been done in vain.' He remained in his house feeling distressed, and the Messenger of Allah (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) noticed his absence.

So some men went to Thabit and said to him, 'The Prophet noticed your absence. What is the matter with you?' Thabit said, 'I used to raise my voice above the voice of the Prophet and speak loudly in front of him. My deeds have been rendered useless and I am among the people of the Fire.' They went to the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) and told him what Thabit said and the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) said,

"Nay, he is among the dwellers of Paradise.''

Anas commented, "We used to see Thabit walk among us knowing that he was (to be) among the dwellers of Paradise. During the battle of Yamamah, our forces suffered retreat. Suddenly, Thabit bin Qays bin Shammas came, having put on his Hanut and shrouds, and said, 'The worst habit is the one you acquire from your enemy and do not set a bad example for your companions.' And he went on fighting until he was martyred, may Allah be pleased with him.'' Allah then prohibited speaking to the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) in a loud voice, just as one speaks loudly to another in a way that offends him.

Allah ordains lowering one's voice before the Messenger and encourages, directs and recommends this better behavior. Allah ordered the believers to refrain from raising their voices to the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam), because in doing so, a believer might also anger Allah. The good deeds of he who caused the Prophet's (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) or Allah'a anger will become useless without him even knowing.

In a sahih hadith, Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) said,

"Verily, a man might utter a word that pleases Allah the Exalted, even though he does not recognize the significance of his word, and on its account Paradise is written for him. Verily, a man might utter a word carelessly that angers Allah the Exalted, and on its account, he is cast in the Fire farther than the distance between the heavens and earth."

In the next verse, Allah ensures that those who follow this respectful behaviour towards Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam), they are the ones whose hearts Allah has decorated with Taqwa. Allah says,

"Indeed, those who lower their voices in the presence of Allah's Messenger are the ones whose hearts Allah has refined for righteousness. They will have forgiveness and a great reward."

[Surah Hujarat 49:3]

This means that the people who respect the presence of Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) [this can also be implied for us in the way that when his name is mentioned, one sends darood on him or follows his sunnah and loves him sincerely] are the ones in whose hearts Allah has embedded seeds of Taqwa. Allah confirms forgiveness and reward for them.

Although this command is generaly for the believers of that era, it also has some deeper reference to people of the present era.

The universal implication of this verse is to respect Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) and to choose what he has taught to us over our own desires. In a way, to be in his lead and not to get ahead of him or Allah by defying their commands, that is the message in this verse. In a deeper meaning, raising one's voice against/above Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) also refers to not speaking against him even in his absence and not to get ahead of him i.e stay in his lead while Allah stays our Guide.

Things we learnt:

> To not raise one's voice above the voice of Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam). It is a virtue of respect. The universal command is to not let one's morals dominate/overpower/be raised above the morals the Prophet taught.

> To not be loud to Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) or have the same speech as you'd have while talking to others. This verse teaches manners of speech towards the Prophet and signifies the high status Allah gave him, peace and blessings be on him.

> The third point in this verse is a delegation, warning that whoever goes against Allah's commands and breaks the prohibitions, his deeds will be rendered worthless while he remains unaware. This verse is vital as every believer should know it's strict consequences and be humbled towards Allah and adopt respect towards Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasallam).

May Allah forgive our past sins and guide us.
Ameen.
Wama alayna illal balaghul mubeen.