48)

"O you who have believed, if you fear Allah, He will grant you a criterion and will remove from you your misdeeds and forgive you. And Allah is the Possessor of great bounty."

[Al-Anfal 8:29]

In this verse which highlights the important benefits of taqwa (fear of Allah), the word 'furqan' is used. The word furqan covers several meanings. Some meanings of furqan are; a way out in this life and in the hereafter, aid, salvation, criterion between truth and falsehood.

The Arabic word Taqwa cannot be adequately explained by any one word in the English language. Taqwa is defined as fearing Allah, keeping that continuous awe and reverence in the heart for Him which prevents a person from doing deeds which are prohibited by divine law. Taqwa is that shield that comes between a person and what may harm his spirituality.

The strengthening factor of Taqwa is love and recognition of Almighty Allah which is a favourable state that a believer has to constantly nurture in his heart. When asked about Taqwa, Allah's Messenger ﷺ pointed to his heart and said: "Taqwa is here!" (Muslim)

To acquire Taqwa is a duty of all Believers. In every sphere of life a true believer is expected to beautify himself with Taqwa as true honour is in adopting Taqwa only. As the stars beautify the heavens, the obedient beautify the earth.

Allah mentions in Qur'an;

"O you who believe, fear Allah as He should be feared."

[Aal-e-Imran 3:102]

Certainly, those who have Taqwa of Allah by obeying what He ordained and abstaining from what he forbade, will be guided to differentiate between the truth and the falsehood. This will be a triumph, safety and a way out for them from the affairs of this life, all the while acquiring happiness in the Hereafter. They will also gain forgiveness, thus having their sins erased, and pardon, thus having their sins covered from other people, as well as, being directed to a way to gain Allah's tremendous rewards as Allah is the possessor of great bounty and treasures for those who believe and fear Him.

The people in whose hearts Taqwa is alive are called Muttaqeen (God fearing ones). The qualities of Muttaqeen are;

~ They have firm faith in everything that the Prophet ﷺ taught them.

~ They are steadfast in Salah.

~ They spend in the way of Allah.

~ They believe in what is revealed in the Quran and the previous scriptures.

~ They have firm conviction in the hereafter.

In appreciation of these people, Allah revealed the verse;

"It is these who are upon guidance from their Lord and it is these who are successful."

(Al-Baqarah 2:5)

The eternal benefits of taqwa are mentioned several times in Qur'an.

"O you who believe! Have Taqwa of Allah, and believe in His Messenger, He will give you a double portion of His mercy, and He will give you a light by which you shall walk (straight). And He will forgive you. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

[Al-Hadeed 57:28]

This verse beautifully captures the importance of Taqwa.

"And whoever fears Allah, He will make for him ease in his matter."

[At-Talaq 65:4]

The Quran in its majestic style and wisdom alternates these injunctions with the virtues of Taqwa. Whoever has Taqwa, Allah makes matters easy for him in this world as well as the next. This does not necessarily mean that the person will not face difficulty, but through the blessings of his Taqwa, he is guaranteed ease and the strength to bear these difficulties without losing faith or hope.

"For those who have Taqwa there is Triumph (Paradise)."

[An-Naba 78:31]

This reference verse describes the meaning of the last part of the main verse. Allah is the Owner of all the treasures and thus is the Possessor of great bounties. Those who fear Him, not only does He give them his bounties (like forgiving them and blessing them with furqan), but He also announces the success of the afterlife for them.

The worldly benefit for acquiring taqwa at all times is furqan; the ability to distinguish between right and wrong and the benefit for the hereafter for acquiring taqwa is total forgiveness by the Most Forgiving Allah and a place in Jannah (Paradise). Hence, the Possessor of bounties, distributes His bounties to those who fear Him and have taqwa alive in their veins.

Things we learnt:

> Taqwa has uncountable benefits, some of which are seen as blessings in this world and their reward in the afterlife is immeasurable.

> The quality of distinguishing truth from falsehood i.e filtering good out of what's bad is called furqan. Allah assures the Muttaqeen (those who have Taqwa) to gift them furqan.

> Another eternal benefit of acquiring Taqwa is the removal of misdeeds from a Believer's life and absolute forgiveness.

> By fearing Allah, a Believer can attain Allah's bounties and He is the Possessor of great bounties.

May Allah guide us to the right path.
Ameen.
Wama alayna illal balaghul mubeen.