63)

"O you who have believed, do not enter the houses of the Prophet except when you are permitted for a meal, without awaiting its readiness. But when you are invited, then enter; and when you have eaten, disperse without seeking to remain for conversation. Indeed, that [behavior] was troubling the Prophet, and he is shy of [dismissing] you. But Allah is not shy of the truth. And when you ask [his wives] for something, ask them from behind a partition. That is purer for your hearts and their hearts. And it is not [conceivable or lawful] for you to harm the Messenger of Allah or to marry his wives after him, ever. Indeed, that would be in the sight of Allah an enormity."

[Al-Ahzab 33:53]

In this verse, a set of etiquettes that Islam introduced are given. This verse shows that Islam is a complete sphere of life as it does not only focus on worship and limitations but also on practices of etiquettes and manners.

In the ancient times the Arabs would enter one another's house unceremoniously. If a person had to see another person he did not think it was necessary to call at the door or take permission for entry, but would enter the house and ask the womenfolk and children whether the master was at home or not, This custom of ignorance was the cause of many evils and would often give rise to some serious evils. Therefore, in the beginning a rule was made in respect of the houses of the Holy Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) that no person, whether a close friend or a distant relative, could enter them without permission. Then in Surah An-Nur a general command was given to enforce this rule for the houses of all the Muslims.

The next command is is the second command in this connection. An uncivilized practice prevalent among the Arabs was that the visitors would call on a friend or acquaintance right at the time of the meals, or would come and prolong their stay till the meals time approached. This would often cause the master of the house great embarrassment. He could neither be so discourteous as to tell the visitors to leave because it was his meals time, nor could feed so many unexpected guests together. For it is not always possible for a person to arrange meals immediately for as many visitors as happened to call on him at a time. Allah disapproved of this practice and commanded that the visitors should go for meals to a house only when invited. This Command did not in particular apply to the Holy Prophet's (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) house only but the rules were in the beginning enforced in that model household so that they become general rules of etiquette in the houses of the other Muslims as well.

The order about prohibition of gossips and long stays after meals was to reform yet another foolish practice. The guests at a feast, after they had finished eating, would sit down to endless gossip and discussions much to the inconvenience of the people of the house. They would often embarrass the Holy Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) also by this practice, but he would forbear and forget.

At last on the day of the marriage feast of Hadrat Zainab (RA) the embarrassment thus caused crossed all limits. According to the Holy Prophet's (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) special attendant, Hadrat Anas bin Malik (RA), the feast was held at night. Most of the people left after taking food but a couple or two of them got engaged in gossip.

Disconcerted the Holy Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) rose and went round to his wives. When he returned he found the gentlemen still sitting. He turned back and sat in Hadrat 'A'ishah's (RA) apartment. When a good deal of the night had passed he came to know that the gentlemen had left. Then he returned and went to the apartment of Hadrat Zainab (RA). After this it became inevitable that Allah Himself should warn the people of these evil practices. According to Hadrat Anas (RA) these verses were sent down on this occasion. (Muslim, Nasa'i Ibn Jarir).

On the basis of the command regarding regulation of veil, this verse is the verse which is called "the verse of the veil". Bukhari has related on the authority of Hadrat Anas (RA) that before the coming down of this verse, Hadrat 'Umar (RA) had made a suggestion several times to the Holy Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) to the effect: "O Messenger of Allah, all sorts of the people, good and bad, come to visit you. Would that you commanded your wives to observe hijab."

According to another tradition, once Hadrat 'Umar (RA) said to the holy wives, "If what I say concerning you is accepted, my eyes should never see you."

But since the Holy Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) was not independent in making law, he awaited Divine Revelation. At last, this Command came down that except for the mahram males, no other man should enter the Holy Prophet's (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) houses, and whoever had to ask some thing from the ladies, should ask for it from behind a curtain. After this Command curtains were hung at the doors of the apartments of the wives, and since the Holy Prophet's (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) house was a model for the Muslims to follow, they too hung curtains at their doors. The last sentence of the verse itself points out that whoever desire that the hearts of the men and women should remain pure, should adopt this way.

For the purity of everyone's hearts, ome could not possibly permit that the men and women should freely meet in mixed gatherings, educational and democratic institutions and offices, because it, as revealed by Allah (The Knower of what lies deep inside the hearts) affects the purity of the hearts.

The prohibition regarding marrying the Prophet's (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) wives after him was revealed as an opposition to the false allegations that were being made in those days against the Holy Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) and some weak-minded Muslims also were joining the disbelievers and the hypocrites in doing this.

Allah has revealed within the same surah, that the wives of the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) are the mothers of the believers and this is another reason for the revelation of this part of the verse.

"Whether you reveal something or conceal it, Allah has full knowledge of everything."

[Al-Ahzab 33:54]

In the next verse, Allah tells the believers that if a person entertains an evil thought in his heart against the Holy Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam)  or harbors an evil intention about his wives, it will not remain hidden from Allah, and he will be punished for it.

As Allah is the Knower of all that is and that isn't, this part of the verse can be taken as a warning as well as a congragulating note for those who observe the orders of Allah and do not bear any negativity in their hearts and their faith in Allah is unwavering. Allah, by saying that He knows what's revealed and concealed means that He is aware of the strong faith in the hearts of His people and apart from those who bear negativity, those who remain steadfast in Allah's path will be rewarded for each of their deed even if their faith goes unnoticed by others as Allah is Aware of everything.

Things we learnt:

> Some common practices of Arabs are prohibited in this verse. Allah first disallows the believers from entering Prophet Muhammad's (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) unless given permission for meals and it is not allowed to show up before the appointed time. This verse regulates the concept of proper etiquettes and manners that a believer should have.

> Next, Allah affirms that those who are invited can enter and leave once the meal is over. Engaging in gossips till late is strictly forbidden as it bothers the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam). This can be taken in a wider sense as well in today's era. One shouldn't bother the people by staying late in their houses for gossip and one should readily leave after the meal is over. Allah also states that He states the truth without hesitation.

> A partition between the wives of Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) was to be observed and maintained. This was to be done for the purity of the hearts hence it is applicable in today's world too. Many hearts have been impurified by constant open environments of men and women without partition and veil. For the purity of hearts, veil and partition (eg curtain) is to be maintained between women and non-mehram men.

> To harm the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) or to marry his wives after him is prohibited and this second command is reserved for the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasallam) only.

> Allah tells the believers and especially the hypocrites that what's in the heart is known well to Allah.

May Allah guide us to the right path.
Ameen.
Wama alayna illal balaghul mubeen.